Why are my lights going crazy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why are my lights going crazy?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
k2enemy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Why are my lights going crazy?

When I turn my right or left blinker on both blinker lights come on and stay on, the speedo and tac lights flash and both outside turn markers flash. It does the same with the lights on too. Where do I start? There is no reason to believe any wiring is mismatched, how does this even happen?

k2enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2enemy View Post
When I turn my right or left blinker on both blinker lights come on and stay on, the speedo and tac lights flash and both outside turn markers flash. It does the same with the lights on too. Where do I start? There is no reason to believe any wiring is mismatched, how does this even happen?
Make sure that you have the right lamps installed for the turn signals. If 1156 (single center contact base) is installed rather than the 1157 (dual contact) then the 1156 will short the two contacts in the base connector together and cause the voltage to back feed through these circuits and cause this very symptom. Easy thing to do as these lamps are identical in every way other than the single or dual filaments (contacts). This may not be the cause of your problem, but should be ruled out before chasing grounds.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
k2enemy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Make sure that you have the right lamps installed for the turn signals. If 1156 (single center contact base) is installed rather than the 1157 (dual contact) then the 1156 will short the two contacts in the base connector together and cause the voltage to back feed through these circuits and cause this very symptom. Easy thing to do as these lamps are identical in every way other than the single or dual filaments (contacts). This may not be the cause of your problem, but should be ruled out before chasing grounds.
Thats a good point, I did change the bulbs when I had the lighting harness out. I think I used the correct bulbs but who knows. Well...I didn't use the correct bulbs. That did the trick, thanks!

Last edited by k2enemy; 08-10-2010 at 10:48 AM..
k2enemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.