From the 'Why .. just ....why?' file - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > From the 'Why .. just ....why?' file

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From the 'Why .. just ....why?' file

Well, my daughter wanted a jeep ... so she got one. '92 YJ, 2.5l. Now it's up to me to make it driveable. She named my last three cars ('85 Parisienne, 93 Grand Caravan, '81 Olds Custom Cruiser) so I've named hers ... Bloody Hell: the crimson nightmare. So far the poop list includes ... the entire body. And a bunch of the frame. Cracked windshield. The clutch slave leaks. One of the U joints for the forward drive shaft is virtually gone (even got a little vid clip of how shot it sounds). The wiring ... Ugh. But the piece de resistance was finding both front brake hoses worn through to the threads from rubbing on the tires. That got it parked until I can spare the time to deal with it. In it's favour, it starts first shot (when the battery isn't drained out) and had plenty of torque to run right up the ramps of the trailer I brought it home on (uhaul rental) just on idle.

Rebuilding the tub will simply be a matter of ordering new tins. The frame, Meh ... nothing I haven't done before. The skid pan for the trans and for the gas tank have seen better days. Are those part of the support for the trans and tank, or can I just lose them? She says she only wants it for on road. Maybe a little dirt/farm road .. but I can't see her letting her car get dirty.

Previous owner is no help for information ... he was convinced that the Renegade stickers on the side were original and the vinyl seats were leather. Someone at some time riveted steel plates to the sides to cover up the rust damage ... who might that be, don't care. They're coming off as soon as the new tins arrive. Feel free to browse the photobucket and comments are welcome. Particularly where the rat's nest under the dash is concerned. When I see one wire change colour 3 times in as many feet and extra length zip tied up in a bow ... I don't have high hopes for it's integrity. As it is, my good spare battery is staying in the shed.

http://s231.photobucket.com/user/Pro.../Bloody%20Hell

Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

how much did the guy pay her to take it? may the force be with you
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank god it's red... at least it distracts you from the rust.
rbthompsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bloody hell is right. You need the skidplates. the trans skid acts as the crossmember/trans/tc mount. the gas skid is the only thing holding up the tank
Unread 07-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Goob ... that's what I was afraid of.
Unread 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Eh, a little bondo and your good to go.
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That ATV winch, tho! I dig the red tho. Not that I'm biased for it or anything.
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, she was all psyched about it .... 3500lbs. Maybe to pull a neighbour's civic out of a snow bank. Controls aren't even there. Just bared wires on top. I pulled the quick disconnect apart to stop neighbourhood kids from monkeying with it.
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professur View Post
Yeah, she was all psyched about it .... 3500lbs. Maybe to pull a neighbour's civic out of a snow bank. Controls aren't even there. Just bared wires on top. I pulled the quick disconnect apart to stop neighbourhood kids from monkeying with it.
do not pull ANYTHING with that winch. That's a 3500lbs FLAT pull, not as in it can pick up that much weight... you can MAYBE pull up a 4 wheeler out of a ditch with that thing...
rbthompsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, no worries about that. It won't even be attached when I start work. I want it and all the wiring associated with it off before I put my spare battery in. As it stands, I doubt the cable would survive even a 4 wheeler in the state it's in. That you'd have to stand between it and anything you're pulling .. hell no. No, I told her straight out that the minimum winch for that vehicle would be 7000lbs, and that with a snatch block. Then I had to explain a block and tackle. *groan* It left her a little dejected (how that disappointed her when there all that rust) but I'm sure she'll be charming the in-laws for christmas goodies.
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Joe6Pack74
1979 CJ7 

Good opportunity to teach your daughter to weld. That will build character.
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Taught her when she was 12. They were making these cardboard pyramids for history class (or something) and she wanted to show off. So she went in with a 15" sheet metal pyramid painted with some stone effect paint, with a bare space on each wall for different texts they had to put (a slave's letter to the Pharaoh and such). The teacher still had it in his classroom when she graduated. No way was that monstrosity coming back home. The next year it was shields. I padded the edges and still use it for LARPing. Unfortunately shortly after dumping this thing on me, she went off to work at a summer camp (archery instructor) and only gets home on weekends. I do plan on leaving a good bit of the work for her. But anything safety related I'll do myself.
Unread 07-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Some of that is the great so what - like the wiring, vacuum lines and plumbing.

The torpedo below the water line? Structural fram and body rust, for example the body and seat mounts.

Jack up the radiator cap and drive a new Jeep underneath.

You can always buy a sound non-runner and swap over engine and axles from this one.

----

Think of it this way: that puny winch is strong enough to pull that vehicle apart. I took a second look at the frame and tub photos. Both are toast and beyond any reasonable repair. Try for a donor frame and tub and take it from there - far more feasible.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So...
It's rain and salt that damaged it?

What is all that stuff globbed onto the frame? Did that stuff hold in moisture?

This is my frame with the factory paint. I would think paint would protect it from moisture/salt, wouldn't it?

Note the factory paint runs. It must have been hanging front down when painted. Maybe the extra coatings people add cause damage? (yeah, I know the underside is dirty)

Unread 07-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I suspect the crap is some ancient form of rustproofing. Kinda waxy. Once the brakes are sorted, I'll run it over to the quarter car wash and hit it with the high pressure hose. See what comes off.

Plym, I'd considered a new tub outright when I saw it. But the panels are so cheap it's hardly worth worrying over. The frame ... I'll know more when I get it clean. Most of the parts yards in my neck of the woods have shut down, hardly carry anything more than 5 years old, and seldom more than 2 of anything. If it's heavy, it's gone for metal weight. Fortunately there's a yard just south of the border that has about 25 acres of plenty. I should be able to get anything without a VIN without too much trouble.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.