Why do you need a return fuel line - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why do you need a return fuel line

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
1989 Islander

Why do you need a return fuel line

Once you put on a MC2100 what purpose does a line going back to the tank serve?

I understand that on the orig system, Carter carb BBD feedback, it was part of a grander scheme but now that one has a 2100 could you get by with just the one line from the pump to filter to carb?

Unread 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Because of the valves in the carb only let so much gas in. The rest has to be bled off and not back up pressure to the mechanical pump.

This is called an open loop system

Essentially look at your fuel filter. The drain line is on top, carb feed on bottom. Any "over pressure" condition bleeds out through the top and back to the tanks to be cycled again with little or no pressure.

It extends the life of the pump and keeps the pressure regulated at the carb.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ
Because of the valves in the carb only let so much gas in. The rest has to be bled off and not back up pressure to the mechanical pump.

This is called an open loop system

Essentially look at your fuel filter. The drain line is on top, carb feed on bottom. Any "over pressure" condition bleeds out through the top and back to the tanks to be cycled again with little or no pressure.

It extends the life of the pump and keeps the pressure regulated at the carb.
i couldn't have said it any better myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just to give a visual aid, the carb has a little bowl in it that it draws fuel from, there is a needle which rises and falls with a float in the fuel bowl, when the float raises up to a specified point the flow from the feed line is cut off - there's no smarts in the mechanical fuel pump so it just keeps on pumping and that extra fuel has to go somewhere.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Two years ago my fuel return line became clogged. Normally I'm supposed to have 60 pounds of pressure on my fuel rail (94, has injectors).... but when my return line became clogged I was getting close to 90.

I thought I had a spark problem at first because it seemed sluggish. To test I'd start off in 3rd gear up a slight hill. It would keep running and not stall, so thats when I figured it had to be a fuel problem.

PS: On a side note, after fixing my fuel return line.... about 4 months later my fuel pump went. I had to open up my damn gas tank twice that year.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
1989 Islander

Thanks. I hope this is as informative to others as it is to me. It gives me several thing to check on the carb set up.

This is one I'm glad I asked.
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OOOO I like the picture!
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
gordonc_eh

Axel Jack

Have yj 91 4.0 fuel pressure 92 lbs

How/where does the return fuel line get plugged??
Is there a valve at the pump???
Looking at removing tank like to clarify firdt, need pump?????

GC
gordonc_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
lidlitalian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

on the filter setup, does the return line go above the inline or below? Think mine is upside down. when I pinch the return line, my holley fpr goes up to the psi (3.5) that it should be. when its not pinched, it just bounces around 0-1...
lidlitalian is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.