Why am I always getting the wrong oil pan?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why am I always getting the wrong oil pan??

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why am I always getting the wrong oil pan??

Hey... good to be back ~

Maybe one of you guys can give me a clue.... I'm lost.

I've ordered 3 oil pans for my 1990 YJ, 4.2L (actually it's a 1987 4.2L block) and I've gotten something that is just, plain wrong each time. All of them state 72 - 90 4.2L.

The one on the jeep now (seeps oil through the sides of the pan) has the deep (sump?) area right at the back of the pan.
The ones I'm getting have the deep area quite a bit further forward (and it's smaller) and the oil pump pickup just won't fit. My existing pan also looks longer but I won't know for sure until I pull it and measure it. By the way, the ones I getting are all made by Crown Automotive.

Has anyone else seen this?
What do I need to order or should I just have a plate welded inside the one I have? As always... any help is greatly appreciated.

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A 4.0 has a different pan than a 4.2. Maybe they are giving you that?

Tags
4.2l , lubrication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.