Why all the rough country hate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why all the rough country hate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why all the rough country hate?

Why all the rough country hate? I know two people with 3" lifts and one person with a 4" lift no vibes or issues. Thinking about going to 4" myself....but I feel dissuaded and don't know what to get now. This will be for a YJ even though my profile says XJ

LukeADukes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just ask my 4" RC lift that has a 2 sag in the front. I have to get new springs or a shackle lift to compensate. They can't flex for anything. I'm still saving for my BDS. Do yourself a favor and skip the RC's. It's like herpes for your jeep.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Darn that's a shame...I hate that you spent money into the product and got sag....but I guess that's why the kit is only $450 for 4" of lift. Any other ones you like besides BDS?
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Important Kit Notes
1. May require driveshaft lengthening if equipped with 13"( u-joint to u-joint) driveshaft.
2. May require larger diameter driveshaft if equipped with a 41-1/2" front driveshaft.
3. If you have a heavy Jeep (ie. Hard top with full size spare) you will want to run the front springs on both the front and rear. This selection can be made in the customize section before checking out.
4. A slip yoke eliminator and dual cardan style rear driveshaft may be required to eliminate drive line vibration.

I planned on trying to get a SYE and DC one way or another. Was unfamiliar with the larger diameter drive shift for a front shaft. Anyone have experience with this? This is a BDS kit
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Rich G
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know if this is the truth with rough country, but one thing I learned on the forums a long time ago is that the mob mentality is super strong. People with no experience will badmouth a product just because they read it on a forum and it just spreads like wildfire.
Rich G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The PO of my jeep installed a 4" RC lift and I can say from experience that it rides like a brick and has no flex. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. They are cheep but I don't think you will be happy in the end. I haven't experienced too much sag yet but mine is only a year old and hasn't been wheeled much. Id save a little more for a better lift.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post
Important Kit Notes
1. May require driveshaft lengthening if equipped with 13"( u-joint to u-joint) driveshaft.
2. May require larger diameter driveshaft if equipped with a 41-1/2" front driveshaft.
3. If you have a heavy Jeep (ie. Hard top with full size spare) you will want to run the front springs on both the front and rear. This selection can be made in the customize section before checking out.
4. A slip yoke eliminator and dual cardan style rear driveshaft may be required to eliminate drive line vibration.

I planned on trying to get a SYE and DC one way or another. Was unfamiliar with the larger diameter drive shift for a front shaft. Anyone have experience with this? This is a BDS kit
Must be a typo. I can understand that it may need a longer front shaft, though mine did not, but larger diameter makes no sense.

I went from a Cepek lift (similar to RC) to a RE lift (similar to BDS) and it's night and day. The Cepek lift gave me lift, but rode like it had no springs. The springs are clamped together limiting droop (this could be fixed some what) but they were too stiff. My RE rides better than it did stock.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Must be a typo. I can understand that it may need a longer front shaft, though mine did not, but larger diameter makes no sense.

I went from a Cepek lift (similar to RC) to a RE lift (similar to BDS) and it's night and day. The Cepek lift gave me lift, but rode like it had no springs. The springs are clamped together limiting droop (this could be fixed some what) but they were too stiff. My RE rides better than it did stock.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...ard-yj.htm#sye

Is this the RE lift you picked up? I'm considering it more over the rugged ridge.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...-inch-lift.htm

It's got some goodies like grab handles and a glove box organizer but that's just some BS incentive to purchase their lift i'm presuming
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My old man emu lift rides as good as stock and gave me good solid lift. A 2.5" kit and I am riding about 3" higher.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G View Post
I dont know if this is the truth with rough country, but one thing I learned on the forums a long time ago is that the mob mentality is super strong. People with no experience will badmouth a product just because they read it on a forum and it just spreads like wildfire.
The mob mentality can show itself here, but I happen to have that lift and it is straight up hot garbage. There is a reason why products get a bad name. Like Fen-Phen the weight loss pill, everyone now knows it was a horrible product. But who here has actually purchased or used the pill? I bet not too many, but you will get a certain opinion of that product. Rough Country is the "made in china" of the other products in the lift world. (I'm sure there are many of the good brands made in china.)
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...ard-yj.htm#sye

Is this the RE lift you picked up? I'm considering it more over the rugged ridge.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...-inch-lift.htm

It's got some goodies like grab handles and a glove box organizer but that's just some BS incentive to purchase their lift i'm presuming
No I went the RE 4.5 Extreme. I wanted Bilstein 5100 shocks so the kit with shocks wouldn't do, plus I hear the extreme 4.5 are a better spring than the regular RE 4"
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the rough country lift on my yj and it sagged within months after I installed it. The front sagged to a point my yj looked like a hotrod. I replaced them with zone's 4" springs and their way better. If on a budget their the sister co. Of bds and springs are made similar besides no military wrap and their warranty isn't as great as bds. They ride great, flex good, and won't sag.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx
The mob mentality can show itself here, but I happen to have that lift and it is straight up hot garbage. There is a reason why products get a bad name. Like Fen-Phen the weight loss pill, everyone now knows it was a horrible product. But who here has actually purchased or used the pill? I bet not too many, but you will get a certain opinion of that product. Rough Country is the "made in china" of the other products in the lift world. (I'm sure there are many of the good brands made in china.)
My BDS springs are made in Canada!

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Since we're on the topic of RC....they offer the option of a CV drive shaft for a 4" lift. I was under the impression you had to take measurements and have one custom made or machined for you. You can't just generically say 4" lift heres a shaft
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have been offline for five hours. Where to start?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.