who's swapped Tj shafts into YJ D30?? HELP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > who's swapped Tj shafts into YJ D30?? HELP

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
michaelkkirk
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzamwayno View Post
you only need the two seals on each side of the pumpkin, with diff removed.

the passenger side is smaller than the driver side and there are 2 versions of seal depending on the axle tube size jeep decided to use.

another thing to check is there is a bearing next to the disconnect housing and my shafts were a little larger than the originals so this had to be removed(after i put everything back together the axle slid in only so far, out came the diff again) no big deal with a socket and a few extensions through the housing to pop it out.
Interesting, my passenger shaft was smaller than the bearing (1/16 smaller), so I left it in.

Unread 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkkirk View Post
Interesting, my passenger shaft was smaller than the bearing (1/16 smaller), so I left it in.
Mine too. I liked that because it provides a center contact point to carry the weight of the axle shaft as you try to finesse the tip into the seal and carrier.
Unread 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That passenger side bearing or bushing, changed a couple of times for different years, so that's why you may see different diameters. My 90 had a rubber bushing with notches in it, kind of a loose fit to the shaft....then I think it changed to a bronze bushing or bearing...but it's not too well documented.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm View Post
That passenger side bearing or bushing, changed a couple of times for different years, so that's why you may see different diameters. My 90 had a rubber bushing with notches in it, kind of a loose fit to the shaft....then I think it changed to a bronze bushing or bearing...but it's not too well documented.
In my 94 the TJ shaft fit through the plastic bushing, but the yukon alloy didn't. I wound up just slamming the shaft into it hard and snapping it into a few pieces
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #20
michaelkkirk
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used this kit for the conversion..

It had the seal and the block off plate.

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123369-...nect-axle.html
Unread 06-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #21
michaelkkirk
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkkirk View Post
I used this kit for the conversion..

It had the seal and the block off plate.

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123369-...nect-axle.html
erekv2 clear your PM inbox.... :-)
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #22
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOldjeep View Post
In my 94 the TJ shaft fit through the plastic bushing, but the yukon alloy didn't. I wound up just slamming the shaft into it hard and snapping it into a few pieces
Exact same thing happened to me.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #23
Running925
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzamwayno View Post
the passenger side is smaller than the driver side and there are 2 versions of seal depending on the axle tube size jeep decided to use.
i think i'm the guy that ended up with the odd size because the recommended seal's for this project (tj shafts in yj housing) do not fit into the differential side of my tube. It was not machined from the factory and there is no way that seal is going to fit into there..

idk what to do... i've got 3 different seals here, all with different part numbers and none of them fit.

I really need some help with this.
Running925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #24
OnlynAYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know it has been awhile since anyone has posted in this thread, but what are the implications of doing this swap if your diff is locked?
OnlynAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ran mine on the street like that for years with no problems. Can get a little noisy on tight turns when it all releases but no abnormal tire wear or pulling to one side or the other that i noticed. The only other issue is sometimes you may need the driveshaft balanced or just replaced. I dont think its so much that they are not balanced well from the factory, but after umpteen thousand miles, the slip joint etc has some wear and its probably just a good idea to go ahead and at least balance it. I replaced mine with a TW and never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just did this and used a seal from Car Quest #471765 on the passenger side of the dif.. went right in with a few taps for a hammer. I also put a seal in the disco housing, i used a old seal out of the TJ axle that I have, just to help keep the water out of the axle. I know that over time since the axle shaft is not machined there it will just chew the seal up. My 30 is also locked and I haven't noticed any difference with driving except a small vibe above 60mph so I'm cool with that.
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
OnlynAYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Going to head to pull-a-part now and see if I can get lucky and find a shaft.
OnlynAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thread revival!!! I am in a really tight spot and hoping someone can help I cant seem to get the seal into the pass side axle tube for the solid axle swap. It seems to be abou 1/8" too big. I have part 710068 from Auto Zone. NAPA is closed tomorrow, and this is my daily driver I need for Monday. My axle tube seems to be about 2" on the dot. I see after an hour of looking this is the only thread that mentions they used different size tubes on Dana 30's. I have a late model 95 (manufactured Dec 1995). Anyone know what seal I need? The seal for the split axle is bad which is why I took it apart, so I cant even put it back together for work Monday if I dont figure this out.
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #29
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the napa 11800 seal in mine, actually 2 of them one slightly pushed down the tube farther than the other. I would just wait until napa opens and get the correct seal. I took a large socket and put it inside ofthe seal, put wheel bearing grease around the outside of the seal, then I tapped it in with the hammer. It slid in there like butter... I tapped that one in about 3/4 of an inch and put another one flush with the end of the tube. So it is double sealed I guess, I just didn't want it leaking. I tried seals from the other parts stores and none of them fit right, napa 11800 was he only one that worked for me. I tried one from 2 other places n had that cross reference the part number n neither fit.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.