who's swapped Tj shafts into YJ D30?? HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > who's swapped Tj shafts into YJ D30?? HELP

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

who's swapped Tj shafts into YJ D30?? HELP

got the shafts all set and the seal on the drivers side in. i'm having trouble getting the pass side seal to stay in place. everything i've read says theres no seal on outside of the disconnect housing in stock form. mine has one with ID to fit bigger shaft. the seal i got from NAPA #11800 seems to fit into the stock seal but when i put shaft in it just pops out. do i need to RTV it in place? i used a threaded rod with washers on either side to press it in there tight. other people said that the seal for the drivers side will fit on pass side with Tj shafts but i don't see where, will it fit on side of pumpkin like the drivers side does? please help, i'm doing this on a D30 in garage not the one in jeep so its not an emergency. just really frustrated.

35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
8.8 W/Elocker, D30 W/Aussie
Genright tube fenders
willyb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I have never done it but know this is the best write-up out there: http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd3...jconvert-1.htm

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah thats the site i went by to install. i just can't get the outer seal to stay in place.
35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
Genright tube fenders
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you bent the seal. I would get a new one. To be completly honest with you if you are talking about the seal at the disconnect and you have the one at the pumpkin I would not worry about it.
Unread 11-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue. I skipped the seal in the houseing for all of the above reasons. I am now two years deep and leak free.

Just to clarify - I have a seal on each side of the pumpkin. They are slightly different sized.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Sounds like you bent the seal. I would get a new one. To be completly honest with you if you are talking about the seal at the disconnect and you have the one at the pumpkin I would not worry about it.
yeah, the TJ shafts don't use one on the outside of the disco housing like the YJ does. even if you were to put on there it won't do any good for long. there's no matching machined surface on the TJ shaft to put one there. you have to pull the carrier and install one on the inside of the diff housing just like the driver side. you may have to do a little grinding to the housing to get it to fit from what I've read, since the YJ housing wasn't machined to put a seal there.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All you need are the ones in the housing.
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't understand why that writeup calls for a seal at the disconnect housing. Why would you need it, as said above the axle is not machined for it, and when you put a seal at the differential that's all you should need. At that point it is set up like a TJ or a CJ. I can see where there might be an issue with the passenger side differential seal seat area not being machined for a seal, anyone have an issue with that?
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon View Post
I had the same issue. I skipped the seal in the houseing for all of the above reasons. I am now two years deep and leak free.

Just to clarify - I have a seal on each side of the pumpkin. They are slightly different sized.
how much different sized?? q-tec said the ones for the driver side will fit on pass?
35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
Genright tube fenders
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The above posters are right, a seal at each diff bearing area is all. The YJ seal on the left is fine, works. The 11800 is tapped into the right side inside the diff with the carrier removed (as is the left side should ie need replacing). If you plan to use syn fluid and have not before, I suggest swapping the left side seal too. Seals that saw non-syn fluid tend to leak when syn fluid is later used.
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyb8 View Post
how much different sized?? q-tec said the ones for the driver side will fit on pass?
I'm not 100% sure that they are different sized. It seemed like it though. Maybe some yj d30's are a little different It did have to be tapped in with a socket on the end of a broom stick from the end of the housing while one person held it true inside the pumpkin.

I ended up using a Chicago Rawhide (CR) #11340.

For reference I also have the brands that are supposed to work.

Chicago Rawhide 11343 (Same as 11340 just a bit deeper sides)

Napa 11800

National 710068

National 471763

Spicer 42500

Superior Axle 470160

I used the following kit to do my TJ shafts: http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...82bb0f13768e8b

Here's a good thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=1#post3259716

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
michaelkkirk
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just did mine.. here are some picts

Driver side seal

Pass side seal

Disconnect seal

Disconnect coverplate.
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkkirk View Post
I just did mine.. here are some picts
Can you please replace those photos with much smaller, less meg images? It's the internet version of 'be kind, rewind'.
Unread 03-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
michaelkkirk
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Can you please replace those photos with much smaller, less meg images? It's the internet version of 'be kind, rewind'.
Fixed.. they were kinda big.. I have a fast connection so I forget.. :-)
Unread 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
tranzamwayno
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you only need the two seals on each side of the pumpkin, with diff removed.

the passenger side is smaller than the driver side and there are 2 versions of seal depending on the axle tube size jeep decided to use.

another thing to check is there is a bearing next to the disconnect housing and my shafts were a little larger than the originals so this had to be removed(after i put everything back together the axle slid in only so far, out came the diff again) no big deal with a socket and a few extensions through the housing to pop it out.
tranzamwayno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.