Who should I see in Illinois for wiring problems? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who should I see in Illinois for wiring problems?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The wiring under the radio is not a big deal. They left the original wiring to the plug. Which will give you a good start on removing them. Unplug and remove the wires to the radio itself.

Now you have two fuse boxes the on you showed and then there is on under the hood(black box) by the battery.

A test light will get you through most of the wiring $5to6. That will help you to find hot leads.

As for your speedo ant working there is a plug or connector that could have buildup on it remove a few screws to allow it to drop toward you to check it. Sometimes you can wiggle the connector or unplug it and plug it back in then it works. do the easy steps first like checking all the fuses in both places. use the same size if you replace any.

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889
The wiring under the radio is not a big deal. They left the original wiring to the plug. Which will give you a good start on removing them. Unplug and remove the wires to the radio itself.

Now you have two fuse boxes the on you showed and then there is on under the hood(black box) by the battery.

A test light will get you through most of the wiring $5to6. That will help you to find hot leads.

As for your speedo ant working there is a plug or connector that could have buildup on it remove a few screws to allow it to drop toward you to check it. Sometimes you can wiggle the connector or unplug it and plug it back in then it works. do the easy steps first like checking all the fuses in both places. use the same size if you replace any.
Thanks!

Okay I looked at both here is the pic of the fuse box under the dashboard:

image-4056608507.jpg

And here is a pic of the one under the hood:
tYJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does it look like anything's missing?
image-1372782306.jpg  
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

image-3270960500.jpg

It seems to me like something's are missing
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It looks fine. There are open spots for the ABS and all the spots were not filled in the design. Your issues with the electrical are going to be in the instrument panel.

You need to repair or replace the dimmer switch. The switch can be cleaned. Get some contact cleaner, die electric grease, and sand paper. Disconnect the batter. Remove the dimmer switch. and clean the contacts where the plug attached. Spray the dimmer with the contact cleaner. Put the grease on the connector reattach and reinstall. Or you can just replace it.

The radio battery feed needs to be rerouted. There is no neeed to have it run to the battery. You can run the power feed to the fuse box at the drivers feet for power. Stock the radio was wired with a battery feed and a switched ignition feed. All the aftermarket radios need both as well. Most of the wires that are hanging down look like speaker wires that were not cut back and shortened. You can just cut the wires and use a crimp kit to join them back together. Crimping is the easiest way and if you have questions about it look on youtube for a video explaining it. You can get a splice connector for taping in the power leads as well. It looks like he screwed the antenna lead up too. That is the big black cable. You can't cut it back. See if he spliced into the harness on that one. If he did you might need to give me a pic of that one and I can make a better suggestion on how to deal with it. When you are rewiring you can use tiewraps to hold the wire where you want them. The other pics do look fine. The wiring at the column looks normal and good.Th connector hanging down looks like acourtesy light connctor which is no bog deal.

As far as the guages the clusters are notorious for corrosion on the traces. You need to pull the cluster and see if there is any corrosion back there. if there is post back.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No problem, just a mess. Got your meter and a test light?. and an assortment package of fuses blade type. First of course are the running lights. I realize the stereo is more important to you, but without lights you'll get a ticket and someone may hit you. So get the above and give us a ring back

Regards,

Jim W

And welcome to the forum
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would remove everything the PO added especially that red wire going to the battery.
Then go here: http://www.the12volt.com/

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a lot larger fuse (30 amp) in the clock then it should have 10 or 15 amps max in that spot.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep , problems , wiring , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.