Who should I see in Illinois for wiring problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who should I see in Illinois for wiring problems?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Who should I see in Illinois for wiring problems?

I live in the Illinois valley(Peru, LaSalle, Oglesby, Ottawa), I'm 16 and I've just received my first vehicle, a 95 Jeep yj.

I realize it has some major wiring issues, it was sold to me without a faceplate on the stereo and wires are hanging everywhere in that area. My speedometer and temp. gauge don't work. and now my left turn signal in the front and back doesn't work. none of the lights behind the steering wheel work. the guy that looked at it and fixed my belt and pulley said there's most likely a short somewhere but if i didn't get it figured out quick it could be a big deal.

Anyone out there in illinois know Jeeps very well and the wiring? or possibly a business i could go to that really knows what there doing and won't screw it up anymore?

I'll post pictures of the problems tomorrow.

tYJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Might have a better shot posting here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f323/

It'll give you a broader(YJ,TJ,jk,xj,etc) people to give you some input and they are all in your state. Good luck
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a better thing to ask you. How well can you figure out wiring or plumbing? Huh? you ask what does plumbing have to do with wiring. They are related for the most part. Wiring in a conduit for electricity just like a pipe and hoses is for fluids. So if you understand one then the other is easy. I will bet that you can start figuring this out yourself if you try. Or are you plug and play type of guy?
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can definitely do this yourself. There are several of us here that would gladly walk you through what you need and what you need to do to fix it. The whoole point of the YJ is that it is one of the simpler vehicles to work on and a good vehicle to learn things. If you decide to tackle it, the only basic tool you will need is a multimeter that you can buy from harbor freight or radio shack for $20.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
tomemt
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This forum is the right place to post and get help the people on here and very very knowledgable they helped me with my wiring problems
tomemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This image is all the wires connected to the stereo. Does it look like a problem?
image-2280767400.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

image-1919758898.jpg

This red wire randomly floats away from it all and goes underneath the jeep and connects to the battery.

image-264074831.jpg

Here's a close up of all the wires hanging from the stereo.
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

image-2559216992.jpg

I have no idea what this wire is but it's been hanging there for awhile.

image-3848496763.jpg

The panel light has a short obviously because you have to turn it all the way to high and mess with it a bit to get it to turn on.

image-4228959262.jpg

Here's a glimpse of the fuse box(?) under the panel.

image-2115608496.jpg

Wires under steering wheel behind the panel.

Anything?
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tYJoseph View Post

This red wire randomly floats away from it all and goes underneath the jeep and connects to the battery.

This wire is the battery connection to your stereo. While not the smartest way to route a wire (through an existing hole in the firewall is smarter and better), this is just what keeps constant power to your stereo. While there is definitely a cluster of wires around your stereo, I don't think they're causing your issue.

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And you've taken a pic of the fuse box, but have you pulled each fuse to make sure it's not blown?

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabuJr View Post
And you've taken a pic of the fuse box, but have you pulled each fuse to make sure it's not blown?
I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how will I know if one's blown?
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok no big deal. We can walk you through it. Can you borrow or buy s multimeter. You will need one. They are only 20.00 at Radio Shack or Harbor Freight.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing that looks dangerous is the red wire that is live to the battery with no fuse just flopping around. Do something with that right away.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Kraxen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Start with simple things first.
Speedo- check the connection at the transfer case and make sure the speedo gear isnt stripped or anything.
Temp gauge- replace the sensor to rule that out.
Dash lights- your switch could be bad. I had the same problem and when i got a new switch that fixed the problem.
Turn signals- check the bulbs and the grounds. Also had this same problem and it was cause I had corrosion all in the tail light housing.
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
tYJoseph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraxen View Post
Start with simple things first.
Speedo- check the connection at the transfer case and make sure the speedo gear isnt stripped or anything.
Temp gauge- replace the sensor to rule that out.
Dash lights- your switch could be bad. I had the same problem and when i got a new switch that fixed the problem.
Turn signals- check the bulbs and the grounds. Also had this same problem and it was cause I had corrosion all in the tail light housing.
Okay. Well I know how to check the fuses now so I'll check them in the morning. Otherwise I'll see what I can do about everything else. Thanks everyone!

Tags
jeep , problems , wiring , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.