Who makes USA parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who makes USA parts?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Who makes USA parts?

I need to replace my driver side rear axle bearing and seal. Third time in the last 9,000 miles. This time I want USA made and cannot find it.

Also my water pump went out and I cannot find a New USA made water pump.

I have checked: Pep Boys, Napa, and AutoZone, and Advanced Auto.
All made in China or Mexico!..... Bearings and Water pump!

Suggestions?

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

check rockauto, they carry name brands along with the discount ones. for wheel bearings get timken.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response. I will check into it.

Martin
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look for Timkin barrings they make a lot in the USA.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyarea View Post
Look for Timkin barrings they make a lot in the USA.
I work for a bearing company timken is one of our suppliers. Timken buys out company's all over the world and majority of their bearings are made overseas. Believe it or not 90% of all bearings are made in china. My company supply's Warn bearings and. Ford bearings. They are made in China.

It's a shame that our country had to produce so much overseas cause its too much money to make here. No wonder the country is failing.

Also if your going threw bearings every 3k miles you may be installing them wrong or have a bent housing or shaft

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thats gonna be a tough one. As everyone else stated most of that stuff is outsourced. Shame.

^^^ I agree you probably have something else going on. Or are installing them inside out or something.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am sick of China crap. This will be my third set of bearings within the last 9000 miles. I will pick up the Timkin bearings today. As far as the water pump. The only water pump made in USA is a remanufactured by A-1 Cordone. I checked on it and it looks quality unlike a China water pump.

What the hell has happened to us!
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Thats gonna be a tough one. As everyone else stated most of that stuff is outsourced. Shame.

^^^ I agree you probably have something else going on. Or are installing them inside out or something.
How! Don't think so. The bearing went on good, just went bad. The previous water pump worked for two years then went bad. 50-50 mix, distilled water.

I will never buy China crap again. I have to believe that it is low grade metal.
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I need to replace my driver side rear axle bearing and seal. Third time in the last 9,000 miles. This time I want USA made and cannot find it.

Also my water pump went out and I cannot find a New USA made water pump.

I have checked: Pep Boys, Napa, and AutoZone, and Advanced Auto.
All made in China or Mexico!..... Bearings and Water pump!

Suggestions?
What's wrong with OEM parts? Made in the USA by foreigners.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I installed the new bearing a Timkin. Went smooth.

The A-1 Cardone on the other hand is a mess. I finished the installation and found a peeing stream of antifreeze. The lower hose outlet on the pump was ground squared in one spot. The hose will not clamp on correctly. I have to remove it and re-install another water pump.

Pissed will not cover what I am thinking! WTH the last pump did not make it 10,000 miles.
Now I settled for a USA remanufactured and am still screwed.

Do we really have to settle for China crap?'

How about a USA thread on the top of the Yj section letting us know what to buy as far as parts for our rig.

U.S.A. U.S.A.
U.S.A.
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have fun with that one, not very many parts are going to be American steel/aluminum/whatever metal, and manufactured here.

Sad truth but that's the reality of today's world. I used to work at O'Reilly auto parts, damn near everything was made overseas in our store.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

volvo used to make a lot of bearings. volvo means i roll and is how the company started. bearings are kind of hard to do properly. they require a lot of specific things and temperature controls and junk. we have an ISO certified bearing shop where i work and i was looking over there regulations recently. i am glad i don;t work in that shop
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
volvo used to make a lot of bearings. volvo means i roll and is how the company started. bearings are kind of hard to do properly. they require a lot of specific things and temperature controls and junk. we have an ISO certified bearing shop where i work and i was looking over there regulations recently. i am glad i don;t work in that shop
Fun fact, Volvo is now owned by the Chinese. Which is another reason why I hate driving a VNL 780 a week at a time.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not a Efen USA made water pump to be had. Not made, no where! I settled for a Eastern water pump.

Made in Efen China!
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

edelbrock is all made in USA. I would think they'd make a pump for us.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.