who makes the best yj belly up skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > who makes the best yj belly up skid plate

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
bft89yj
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: beaufort, SC
Posts: 390
who makes the best yj belly up skid plate

i have an 89 yj with like three inches of lift and a 1 inch bl and my goal is to keep this set up and run 35s with metal cloak fenders. i also want to run a belly up pan but im not sure as to which one to get two of my buddy's run belly ups on their tjs and the clearance is great. im just looking for yalls opinions on which company makes good belly up pans for the yj.

__________________
not so stock 89 yj on 35s
bft89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,719
I have the ultra thin one form Undercover Fab and like it a lot.

They say you need a 2" body lift for it to fit but I was able to make mine work with a 1" BL and a few hammer smacks.

__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,917
Felt the urge to reincarnate a thread.

Jbolty, or anyone who has the UCF ultra clearance skid, did you buy their low-pro mount too or were you able to make it work with a 1" BL without their mount just using a hammer?

They have a 25% off sale on their skids until tonight so I put in an order for their t-case and engine skid combo and added the low-pro mount too. Considering I bashed the hell out of my downpipe yesterday I figured it was a good time to move to a TJ style downpipe and go with a better skid system than my stock shovel. Just curious as to everyone who owns a UCF skids experience.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,719
I was able to re fabricate my trans mount with a little cutting and welding to gain another inch. I have an auto trans, so I'm not sure how it would work otherwise.

When I put mine on I took off the whole exhust, then towed the jeep to a custom shop to have the header, down pipe and all the rest relocated to fit up in the new skid. Turned out great.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I was able to re fabricate my trans mount with a little cutting and welding to gain another inch. I have an auto trans, so I'm not sure how it would work otherwise.

When I put mine on I took off the whole exhust, then towed the jeep to a custom shop to have the header, down pipe and all the rest relocated to fit up in the new skid. Turned out great.
Awesome, thanks for the input. Did you ever add their engine skid or are you just running the t-case skid?

I ordered a stock TJ downpipe that wraps the oilpan that I'll route to my current cat/muffler/tailpipe after I get the skid in.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Collin89Sahara
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frisco, Il
Posts: 1,375
Aev
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,719
no engine skid yet, but I have parts to make one.

Funny, but the engine and oil pan look extra exposed without the exhust pipe passing under it. No that it offered any protection but it was at least there.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
no engine skid yet, but I have parts to make one.

Funny, but the engine and oil pan look extra exposed without the exhust pipe passing under it. No that it offered any protection but it was at least there.
Yeah, I bet it does.

The one good thing about bashing up my downpipe is now it at least matches my oilpan and gas tank skid.

My Jeep has been pretty good about telling me what to upgrade next...

Thanks again.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
JohndKc
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DeKalb, Illinois
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Felt the urge to reincarnate a thread.

Jbolty, or anyone who has the UCF ultra clearance skid, did you buy their low-pro mount too or were you able to make it work with a 1" BL without their mount just using a hammer?

They have a 25% off sale on their skids until tonight so I put in an order for their t-case and engine skid combo and added the low-pro mount too. Considering I bashed the hell out of my downpipe yesterday I figured it was a good time to move to a TJ style downpipe and go with a better skid system than my stock shovel. Just curious as to everyone who owns a UCF skids experience.
They don't make the low pro for the YJ that last time a gave them a call.
__________________
33rd BCT
Alpha 2/122 FA
68W
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohndKc View Post
They don't make the low pro for the YJ that last time a gave them a call.
I'll have to call and see which one I actually selected tomorrow and make sure I got the right one, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:
After reading their site more closely I think your right. Their ordering options for the skid system are a little confusing.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.