Who made this top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who made this top?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
AngryBassets

Who made this top?

Any help would be appreciated....I'd really like to get this on the jeep and in service...

I bought a factory soft top sold for a 91 Renegade with full factory hard doors. I can find NO markings anywhere on the top or frame.

It came with a rather generic instruction/parts pamphlet (really just a few pages of paper stapled together).

On the parts page, there's part #'s for both Chrysler and Bestop.

I need a the brackets that mount between the rollbar and windshield, where the skinny bar fastens.

(this thing)

I called Bestop, and apparently that part number (51962-21 and 51963-21) aren't in their database 20 years later. The lady on the phone said, "Oh, that's a Supertop" and told me that parts would be ~$12.99 with a 4 week delivery time.

I haven't called a Jeep dealer yet with those part numbers (83-505-14 and 83-505-15); gonna do that monday...

That's fine but....is this a Supertop frame?

(This is where the top/front door opening would meet)

I also need the corner pieces which bolt to the tub and the brackets the bottom of the rear window crossbar slides in to, but I can likely source them at a junkyard.

AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure how to tell from just the framework.. I have the same framework for my softtop and its made by Steel Horse, who is out of business.

Check the rear side windows, thats where they usually put the logo for what brand of top it is. I'm missing the same exact hardware, but I found them cheap at a local Jeeps Unlimited store

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
AngryBassets

No tags anywhere on it.

The guy I bought it from said it was purchased from the dealer along with the Jeep when new (Renegades came with hardtops).

Does anyone who has a Supertop think they can take a quick peek and see if the connector which attaches to the windshield is the same?
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That definitely looks like my old Bestop Supertop frame. Unfortunately, mine was worn out and I replaced it with a hardtop about 7 yrs ago so I can't take a picture of the windshield bracket for you.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's an original Supertop. It was a crossbreed between the factory softop and the current Supertop. You cannot get a new skin for it. I have the same soft top.frame in the garage. I tried to get a replacement skin for it and it's NLA. The newer Supertop skin won't work on it. Unless the skin and windows are perfect it may not be worth dumping $$ into. I bought a new Supertop.
Unread 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is the original top frame from Bestop. Those pins fit into these

Jeep Wrangler YJ CJ soft top windshield brackets. : eBay Motors (item 110503489664 end time Apr-05-10 16:14:07 PDT)

and I believe you can still get the replacement skin. Last year I PM'd Geoff fro Bestop (
member on wranglerforum.com) and he told me that he could supply the skin thru any of their vendors - Qtec, 4wd.com etc.

I have the same framed if you need any pointers

Bobby

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Last year I PM'd Geoff fro Bestop (
member on wranglerforum.com) and he told me that he could supply the skin thru any of their vendors - Qtec, 4wd.com etc.
I called Bestop and they told me it's NLA. The current Super top snaps to the rear bow and the older one snapped to the center bar. I'd love to get a new skin for the older frame. It's a nicer setup IMO..
Unread 04-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep that is a old Best top.
I have one of those clips things on a old top. Not sure if it is in any better shape than the one you have there.
PM me your address I will send it to you.
Unread 04-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
AngryBassets

Thanks for the help...

So that pin is the same as the "new" Supertop? That's what I need to know before I order it from Bestop.

They are telling me it's $12.99 for both (quite a bit cheaper than that auction, but thanks for the help)...
Unread 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sure looks like what my "new" supertop uses for the windshield mounts.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The clips are the same for the old and the new Supertops. The difference is in the way the 2 bows are setup. The ride in grooves like the factory top and use a spreader bar like the factory top. The door surrounds and the way it attaches to the windshield are completely different then the factory top. The old Supertop bows slid right out and off the Jeep. No screws.
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
AngryBassets

I ordered the windshield brackets, corner tub rail things and the windshield strip from Quadratec. $55 shipped; much easier than going from junk yard to junk yard (who'd probably charge me more anyway).

I'll update when the [back-ordered] parts come in if they work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.