Who Has Used Poly Engine Mounts ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who Has Used Poly Engine Mounts ?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Who Has Used Poly Engine Mounts ?

Curious as to what you felt or heard in noise and vibration over a factory or aftermarket rubber mount vs a Poly mount.

The long story.

Finally getting around to installing the StnkyFab engine brackets.
http://www.stinkyfab.com/heavy-duty-...or-mounts.html

Have these engine mounts with the rubber isolators. Nice beefy mount but a poor execution on the bottom plate for the bolt to go through.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Je...r_YJ_TJ_LJ.htm

See the lip where the elongated hole is ? My drivers side mount bent at that location. The frame horn is flat for the mount to set on. Strange bend but true. I can only assume the mount was flexing on the stud.

Looking at the Currie Mounts
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1063

The base on these mounts are fully boxed in. A much stronger design.

The MORE had rubber while the Curries have the more ridged poly bushing.

What can I expect in any changes in vibration or noise ?

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

With poly mounts you WILL feel more vibrations. I use only rubber motor and transmission mounts.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

We have brown dog mm. We originally went with poly to replace the OEM mounts. The vibes were annoying and we ended up switching back to rubber. Problem resolved.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. Just say no to poly engine mounts
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
We have brown dog mm. We originally went with poly to replace the OEM mounts. The vibes were annoying and we ended up switching back to rubber. Problem resolved.
Brown Dog`s mounts have an even longer unsppourted flat bottom plate then the Mountains. Those would not be my first choice poly or rubber.

The engine itself has been fully balanced and sports the heavy 12 cwt crank.

Be interesting to feel/hear the differences. More I think about it, hell it`s a Jeep not a Caddy. Worse case I go back to rubber and weld in some triangular braces.
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think the poly is okay for the 4.0L and horrible for the 2.5L. I would still recommend the rubber first.

This is based on first hand experience with the 2.5L Brown Dog poly and rubber mounts.
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run poly motor and trans mounts.

It is slightly rediculous.
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I need to replace my trans mount. Is it ok to run rubber motor and poly trans. Local parts store has energy suspension trans mount
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have brown dog poly MM and energy poly trans mount, if the vibration I feel is caused by the material, then it the least of my worries. I would do poly again without hesitation.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
I need to replace my trans mount. Is it ok to run rubber motor and poly trans. Local parts store has energy suspension trans mount
Sure, no problems doing so. But, you may feel a little more. No big deal though.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Its best to keep poly/poly or rubber/rubber.

The drivetrain twists under load, and if one twists significantly more or less it can cause issues.
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Well setting in my Lazy Boy Chair pondering todays big question. Have decided to cancel the poly and go with rubber. That matches the trans/TC eliminates any potential fights between them.

I am going to triangulate the bottom plate to stiffen to up a bit though.

Or I could take some power out of the stroker and torque multiplication out of the gearing.

Nah.......
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had vibes with what thought was worn out OEM mnts after a AX15 conversion etc, so I had Browndog rubber engine mnts installed & I put in a aftermarkt trans mnt in, had the same vibes! The installers had torqued the "dog crap" out of the dog mnts, so after I loosened them to specs it helped but still have vibes. I'm thinking about going to the "stealer" & buying OEM mnts but don't know what they will cost & not 100% sure that they will help.
The mnt for the trans came from Autozone & seemed quite hard (made in China) where as the original was somewhat soft. Of course it was 25 yrs old, who knows? Anybody know where you can get mnts like the originals?
lincolnmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I like my poly motor mounts. If your motor runs like crap maybe it's an issue having poly but I like the small bit of extra feedback in the steering wheel with the poly. I do not get vibes.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Poly is for stuff where stiffness counts. Like in an autocross car's suspension. IMHO rubber is best for motor mounts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.