Whistles @ part-throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whistles @ part-throttle

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Whistles @ part-throttle

My 4.2 YJ whistles a bit when I'm at part throttle, I'd say about 50% into the gas pedal. The funny thing is, if I am 0-40% or 60-100% into the gas pedal it is gone, so I'm thinking it is probably something with the carb? I have a weber 32/36 installed. I would assume that a typical carb air leak would whistle all the time, not just at part throttle, but I'm no expert so I can't be sure.

Another possibility might be the breather hose on the back of the valve cover that is connected to the air box? Maybe the fitting has just the right diameter to whistle or something? Anybody know what a whistle at part throttle might be caused by?

Also, it's not terribly loud or anything, but it's enough to drive me crazy because it whistles at the throttle position that I'm usually at!

Thanks.

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaffy
My 4.2 YJ whistles a bit when I'm at part throttle, I'd say about 50% into the gas pedal. The funny thing is, if I am 0-40% or 60-100% into the gas pedal it is gone, so I'm thinking it is probably something with the carb? I have a weber 32/36 installed. I would assume that a typical carb air leak would whistle all the time, not just at part throttle, but I'm no expert so I can't be sure. Another possibility might be the breather hose on the back of the valve cover that is connected to the air box? Maybe the fitting has just the right diameter to whistle or something? Anybody know what a whistle at part throttle might be caused by? Also, it's not terribly loud or anything, but it's enough to drive me crazy because it whistles at the throttle position that I'm usually at! Thanks.
I would check your lines leading in and out of your intake system (ie carb/air cleaner/vac lines). When I switched out my carbed 350 air cleaner with a hi flow and when I didn't cinch up my intake on my 2.5 I had whistles. I'd start there

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Normal, some are worse then others.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

im betting a vacuum leak at the base of the carb. can you make it do it in park by throttling up? if so, use wd40 spray or propane around the base and see if it quiets.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.