whirring noise when on the gas - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > whirring noise when on the gas

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Most likely there all rusted in you can take the transfer case out by removing 6 bolts I be leave and leave the pan on its a lot harder. You could also put the new chain in by removing the front drive shaft yoke on the tcase and then all the bolts on side of the case that the rear drive shaft attaches. Just be aware these are not the best options

jeepyjLeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #32
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So should I go about drilling out the bolts and pulling the skid plate off. Supporting the transmission and going from there by completely removing the t case
94YjCanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a feeling that its gana take a long time to drill those bolts out. But I don't think you have any other options.
jeepyjLeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #34
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so I know it's been awhile since my last post, still havnt had time to get around to that t case chain, but what are the chances the sound could be coming from the pinion gear, more specifically if the crush sleeve and shims went bad in it. In a previous reply I said that I had rebuilt the rear diff, but being new to this wrenching thing, I didn't know about those. A friend told me this is a common problem and judging by how cheap and available the rebuild parts are I'm inclined to believe him. What are the chances these pesky 30 dollars worth of parts are responsible???
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
mywhyjay
Catchy somethin here...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's what my noise ended up being, jack the rear axle off the ground, remove drive shaft and spin a tire. I didn't have any in or out play in the pinion, just a steady growl. The sparkles in the diff fluid was a bonus!!
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I bought the shims and crush sleeve today, how hard is it to change the stuff oiy
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94YjCanz
Ok I bought the shims and crush sleeve today, how hard is it to change the stuff oiy
I mean how hard is it to torque down a moving piece like how do I go about keeping it from moving once it's on the jeep
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #38
mywhyjay
Catchy somethin here...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's not hard, but needs to be done correct. Do a search and you will see the process, much easier to start the pinion nut with a 1/2 impact.

Or, get an 8.8!
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #39
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just read through your thread, and I had the exact same problem. I narrowed it down to my 8.8, saddly the PO must have ran it dry but thats the chance ya take when you pick it yourself from a 97 Exploder at the local pick and pull. Anyhow, my issue was the carrier berrings. Under a load you could hear the constant friction being caused from bad berrings wearing out the race. So after further inspection I decided to buy the re-build kit and a set of Richmond gears because my pinion gear was on it's way out also. Long story short, that was my issue. Hope this helps
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks it does
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for revisiting an old thread but I have one more question. I still havnt gotten it fixed (had some issues with the family pop up and had to put the jeep on hold) my last question is are the pinion bearings the same on the inside and outside of the differential on the pinion gear

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.