whirring noise when on the gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > whirring noise when on the gas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

whirring noise when on the gas

i dont know whats going on but everytime im on the gas theres a wierd whirring noise that gets louder the faster i go, but it only makes noise when im on the gas. i dont know what it could be, but it started around the same time that i noticed the passenger rear shaft seal was leaking. i replaced that (headache in itself, it was my first time messing with anything inside the rear diff, so lets just say it took a lot longer than it should have. i had to pull the entire assembly twice.) finally got everything back together and working fine. but still makes noise. not sure what it is.
Please help?

94YjCanz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does rpm have anything to do with it. If so it might be a bad bearing in the belt loop.
jeepyjLeD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

not RPMs just speed. like in nuetral, no noise when i get on road it just gets louder the faster i go.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can you tell were the noise is coming from. Front,right under you, or rear
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
lakeobum
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your wheel bearings.
lakeobum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Start by identifying where the noise is coming from. Also check your diff fluid while you're at it.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

it sounds like its either right under me or just behind me. also, checked and changed wheel bearing and seals in rear (had a wet right side, figured i knock out both while i was in there.) i know diff fluid is where it needs to be. as of right now i have the drive shaft off the back, trying to get the u joints out to change them. still dont know where to take them to get the old ones pressed out. i have a puller and tried using that with absolutley no luck
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it is just when you press the gas are you hearing the air rush into the intake?

I hear it on my 94.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just wondering did you take out the retainer clips. And you can use a hammer and a socket smaller then the eye of the shaft. spray somepb blaster and hit it out just be careful not to bend the eyes.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For my jeep I had a knocking ,grinding sound from my tcase. It was the chain slapping the side of the case because the chain was warn out. You could try to run the jeep without the rear shaft just to see if its something in the rear axle. I would only do that as a final straw to this problem.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got the u joints changed, no fix. Can't say I'm not surprised. Let me explain the noise a lil different bc I don't think everyone is gettin the full idea. It's kinda like the sound that a train makes on the tracks or how a roller coaster sounds on the first hill, minus the screams or train engine. I've been hoping its not the t-case, but running out of hope. Something that is put under load is rubbing and I'm fresh out of any more thoughts.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
BGarth13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From left field: speedometer cable?
BGarth13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Care to explain
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
jeepyjLeD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is no speedo cable on the 94s it electronic still has a gear in the tail housing of the tcase
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
94YjCanz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna pull the t case and poke around in there for a few, check the chain and such

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.