Whining/Whirring Engine Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whining/Whirring Engine Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Whining/Whirring Engine Noise

So recently the YJ has developed a high pitch whirring noise in the engine bay and I can not for the life of me figure out what it is. At first I thought maybe it was that the belt was old and I knew it needed to be replaced. NOPE. Maybe it was that the fan clutch stuck. NOPE. A guy that I worked with suggested maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.

The ALMOST sounds like my dad's old Blazer when the fan clutch would stick when you first fired it up, and then it would correct itself and sound normal, except mine doesn't quiet down. The noise is there when I start the Jeep and gets louder with higher rpm and quieter with low rpm.

What I have done thus far in regards to this issue:
-Changed the belt
-Replaced the idler pulley
-Replaced the fan clutch
-Replaced a couple dry rotted vacuum connectors

Things I haven't checked:
-Water pump?
-Alternator ?
-Anything inside the block?

Below is a link to a youtube video of the sound. In the video you can hear a high pitch whining, but it is kind of exaggerated due to phone recording audio quality. I'm sure the YJ masters on here will have some input. Thanks for taking a look and listening to the video.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk7mA...ature=youtu.be

DustyGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try pushing in your clutch. Also try removing the belt to see if it changes.Does the pitch change when you step on the gas?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The YJ is my DD. Pushing in the clutch does nothing and no the pitch doesn't change when I step on the gas, just the volume. I if I get time before class tomorrow I will take the belt off and see if it goes away.
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I mean from what I can tell the noise isn't hurting anything. But I'd like to get rid of that annoying sound.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
SPYDERYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ is making the exact same sound. The guy I just bought it from changed out the water pump....nothing. Then a buddy of his suggested the pilot bearing, which being in Hawaii they didn't have just the bearing and he changed out the entire clutch......again nothing. The water pump was a few weeks ago but the clutch was the day before I bought it and since he couldn't get the sound to go away he dropped the price $500 after paying for the clutch and installing it. I am going to try the belt thing also, and if i narrow down the cause of the sound I'll be sure to pass it along to you.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Please let me know. I will do the same thing. I don't think I will get around to taking the belt off today. Since I work late tomorrow I will most likely do it tomorrow before work. I will keep you updated. Also bump for anyone else's input.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is either the front our back of the engine. The belt eliminates many of the possibilities but your ear should help in narrowing it down. Get under the hood and see what your ear tells you. The front has a few possible issues the rear is usually the clutch throw out bearing. Use your ear and post back what you find disconnecting the belt.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
SPYDERYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would normally agree Que89YJ but the sound on mine atleast is so much of a high pitch whistle that it echoes through the engine cavity and you can't pin it down. Also on mine atleast the clutch was just replaced.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

20 bucks says it the alt

ill go take a video of mine and see if its sounds the same

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow I am waking up early so I can take the belt off and run it for a few seconds. The more and more I hear the sound the more and more I am convinced it is something that is belt driven (whether it is the water pump or alternator).

I remember over the summer the family took a trip to our property in WV. I took out the back seat and had a decent amount of gear in the back and was towing the girl friend's Polaris 250, empty water jugs, and a gas can on the trailer and I remember the temp gauge got a little too high for comfort. I have taken that trip, with the same amount of gear, many times and never remembered the temp getting that high.

So combined with that and not having any noticeable problems with electric or charging the battery I am leaning more towards the water pump than the alt. But we'll see if I even have to worry about that tomorrow.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGeneral View Post
Tomorrow I am waking up early so I can take the belt off and run it for a few seconds. The more and more I hear the sound the more and more I am convinced it is something that is belt driven (whether it is the water pump or alternator).

I remember over the summer the family took a trip to our property in WV. I took out the back seat and had a decent amount of gear in the back and was towing the girl friend's Polaris 250, empty water jugs, and a gas can on the trailer and I remember the temp gauge got a little too high for comfort. I have taken that trip, with the same amount of gear, many times and never remembered the temp getting that high.

So combined with that and not having any noticeable problems with electric or charging the battery I am leaning more towards the water pump than the alt. But we'll see if I even have to worry about that tomorrow.
Valid Point But i also don't have any charging issues

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto

Sun Visor Fix How To

Quote:
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why are you sure it's the alternator? I by no means mean that in a jack *** way, just wondering why.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGeneral View Post
Why are you sure it's the alternator? I by no means mean that in a jack *** way, just wondering why.
100% Sure , my last yj had the same problem i changed the clutch ps pump water pump all the pullys and it still was there i had no reason to think it was the alt because it was charging just fine and then one day just for giggles i got a used one at the JY and switched it out and BAM no more noise

Here is what mine sounds like and if you listen close you can even hear the alt bearings making noise aswell

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread

Another YJ Resto

Sun Visor Fix How To

Quote:
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Taking the belt off will only prove to me that the noise is coming from something belt driven. (Idler, power steering, alt, water). I would much rather replace a $25 water pump than I would a $100+ alternator and have it not be the problem. Especially if I have potential problems with cooling and never a problem electrically.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Listened to your video before I posted my response. Sounds exactly like my noise...hmm. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I take the belt off. Thanks for the input and noise confirmation Gage. I'll keep you posted.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.