Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Whine?

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Wif 
#1 ·
1994 YJ 4.0 5 speed. Recently ive picked up a high pitch whine that seems to be coming from the transmission area, its not very loud but i know its there. I have no idea what caused it, maybe ice lodged up around there?. It comes and goes while in any gear, clutch engaged or disengaged, moving or not, doesnt matter. it doesnt seem to effect anything but it wasnt there just a few days ago so its starting to bother me. any ideas?

#2 ·
Auto or stick? If it's stick try changing the fluids, they get water in them and it causes whining in the bearings when it runs water\oil mixes through them at speed.

#4 · (Edited)
Might seem kinda strange but check the starter, pull it out and see if the driver is jammed and sticking to the flywheel. It won't grind when engaged like that, it'll just whine up and down even in neutral. Mine did that and I thought my pilot bearing was going, turned out to just being the starter sticking to the flywheel while I would drive around town.

When mine was dragging it would whine in strange ways and even sometimes would -just barely- rub the flywheel and make shing-shing-shing noises almost like someone sharpening a knife, it was real odd. Worth a check though.

#6 ·
Just pull the starter and take a look at it. If the bit (driver gear) is really loose and floppy on the shaft it rides on it needs to be rebuilt, if it looks worn, chewed up, etc. The other thing you can do is pull the starter out, push start the jeep and let it run with NO starter installed, no whine=starter was the cause. It takes about 2mins to take it, there's two external torx bolts that hold it to the mount (on my 2.5l anyways) and the power wire and ground wire then yer done.

#8 ·
CanukYJ said:
Might seem kinda strange but check the starter, pull it out and see if the driver is jammed and sticking to the flywheel.
I know that could happen, but it would be way down on the list to check for me. It would be there when he was stopped and idling too, and make a hell of a racket. I'd say it's trans or tcase or diff internal.

#9 · (Edited)
JeeperDon said:
I know that could happen, but it would be way down on the list to check for me. It would be there when he was stopped and idling too, and make a hell of a racket. I'd say it's trans or tcase or diff internal.
Mine didn't make a huge racket and it wouldn't always make noise when idling because the lower speed didn't cause it to spin fast enough to whine. The starter when not charged doesn't take much to spin the driver, so it's not like it would crunch and grind, mine sounded like a whine and sometimes a very light tinging sound like someone just barely dragging their finger in a fan. The starter is also a hell of alot easier to check than gutting a diff or tcase.

I always go by what's easiest to check first and what could cause the problem that most people wouldn't have considered right away. If my engine was sputtering I'd probably check the coil or ignition first, I wouldn't tear it down and look for a stuck valve or hammered rod even though they may be the cause, I'd save the big jobs for last because nothing is worth than tearing something completely apart only to find it was the simplest thing in the world to fix. :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention why I thought this might be it as my first guess, I had 3 starters go on my jeep since I bought it, all three of them blew the bushings out of the end cap for the rod the driver rides on and caused the driver to remain against the flywheel making the "whine\hum\strange" sounds.

#11 ·
when it comes on, its a light whine that goes up with rpm's but fades away after 2000rpm. i notice it most when downshifting into 1st or second, but can be heard at a standstill with it in gear or out of gear, clutch engaged or disengaged. It seems when the clutch is engaged it goes away?? very strange....so inconsistant

#12 ·
that sounds familiar, mine will do very random things and mostly when im exiting the high way in 5th and im off the gas at about 1000-1500 rpm the whinning comes from no where this is why im going to get the release bearing and swap it out next weekend.

Mine also sound from the transmition/ bell housing area

#13 ·
OK .. some things to identify:

1) Does it whine in neutral when sat still ?? If it does, will the noise go away if you press down on the clutch (you may have to select a gear to stop the pilot shaft from spinning.

2) If the vehicle is moving (and you hear the whine) .. will it go away if you press in the clutch .. try 2nd gear . .wait for the whine .. press in the clutch and see if the noise goes away (try selecting 4th gear and see it the pitch of the whine alters .. it may get lower in pitch .. or go away)

If it whines with the clutch out it can't be pilot bearing (as the shaft is locked to the crankshaft and the bearing isn't spinning)
It could be release bearing .. but they normally squeal .. and get worse when you press in the clutch (bearing is under load and working harder).

I feel if it was the starter jammed in (starter gear engaged with the flywheel ring gear) the starter would feel tired when starting .. as the inertia from the disengaged starter would be lost, and the starter would have to turn the engine from standstill.
Also the starer would feel overly hot if run under these conditions .. I'm not saying it can't happen .. but it would be the last thing I'd be looking at.

As you've just changed the oil I would suspect the gearbox is a little worn. Maybe the last oil in there had an additive to quieten it down.

#14 ·
mines started a slight whine too...... but mostly just in third gear, 30-37mph and once i go above that it goes away... and its only when im driving it, not idling...

how often do you guys change your tranny fluid??? is there a writeup on it?/how much it costs?

#15 ·
Feel around up there, listen carefully for any kind of noise. If the sound is kinda intermittant and there's any kind of droppings, get ready for trouble. Yes my friend, you have owls :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.