Where is the whine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Where is the whine?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
dedYJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the whine?

My 95 YJ developed a whine. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. Everything that is run by the serpentine belt has been replaced and the timing gears, chain and tensioner have been replaced. New water pump too. The whine starts after the engine has run for a while, the engine has to be warm. The whine is more pronounced at a steady engine speed, it decreases when accelerating and increases when decelerating. This seems to get louder with lower outside temperatures. It makes no difference if the clutch is engaged or disengaged, air conditioning on or off, turning the steering wheel makes no difference. The whine does go away after 5-10 minutes of driving after it starts.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you!

dedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Remops
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedYJ View Post
My 95 YJ developed a whine. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. Everything that is run by the serpentine belt has been replaced and the timing gears, chain and tensioner have been replaced. New water pump too. The whine starts after the engine has run for a while, the engine has to be warm. The whine is more pronounced at a steady engine speed, it decreases when accelerating and increases when decelerating. This seems to get louder with lower outside temperatures. It makes no difference if the clutch is engaged or disengaged, air conditioning on or off, turning the steering wheel makes no difference. The whine does go away after 5-10 minutes of driving after it starts.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you!
A shot in the dark but I had a weird whine that turned into a rattle after long enough of not being able to identify it. It ended up being the Fan clutch. Whined when it was cold like yours, until it heated up. Eventually the internal bearing were shot, and I replaced it. Easy fix. Good luck.
Remops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
dedYJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New fan clutch already installed. It has been doing this for 6 months with no signs of changing.
Thanks
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another shot in the dark but did you check all your ujoints? Mine made some pretty funky noises and sent me on a bit of a wild goose chase with noise til I realized the rear ujoint was bad...
Mugzz819 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked your vacuum lines for a leak?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
raggededge1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem but after crawling around on the underside I have come to the conclusion it is the fuel pump (in the tank) It only does it sporatically usually after it has run awhile.
raggededge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
dedYJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep will do this at idle or while driving. I have read that an oil pump can whine, but I have no loss of pressure and it is not a constant. I will look at the vacuum lines a little closer.
Thanks
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you want, pull your belt off and start it and drive it a bit but dont let it over heat. If it gose away then you got a pully going out in the front. It just sounds like the belt is still slipping...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
If you want, pull your belt off and start it and drive it a bit but dont let it over heat. If it gose away then you got a pully going out in the front. It just sounds like the belt is still slipping...
If it isn't the belt slipping, +1 on the pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
95greenrio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like what mine was doing last winter, the intake manifold gasket was shot. It did exactly what you are describing. Try spraying some WD-40 or carb cleaner or something similar around the mounting surface while it's whining and listen for any change in the engine noise.
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
dedYJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted to update. It was a loose bolt in the intake manifold!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • Whine around 15-35 mph - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (25 replies)
  • Whine? - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • Whine? - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (9 replies)
  • Whine - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • Whine? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (16 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.