Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Where is the whine?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dedYJ 
#1 ·
My 95 YJ developed a whine. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. Everything that is run by the serpentine belt has been replaced and the timing gears, chain and tensioner have been replaced. New water pump too. The whine starts after the engine has run for a while, the engine has to be warm. The whine is more pronounced at a steady engine speed, it decreases when accelerating and increases when decelerating. This seems to get louder with lower outside temperatures. It makes no difference if the clutch is engaged or disengaged, air conditioning on or off, turning the steering wheel makes no difference. The whine does go away after 5-10 minutes of driving after it starts.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you!

#2 ·
A shot in the dark but I had a weird whine that turned into a rattle after long enough of not being able to identify it. It ended up being the Fan clutch. Whined when it was cold like yours, until it heated up. Eventually the internal bearing were shot, and I replaced it. Easy fix. Good luck.

#10 ·
Sounds like what mine was doing last winter, the intake manifold gasket was shot. It did exactly what you are describing. Try spraying some WD-40 or carb cleaner or something similar around the mounting surface while it's whining and listen for any change in the engine noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.