Where to start my build? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to start my build?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where to start my build?

So I've got a 95 YJ i6 5 speed in great shape. It has very minimal rust underneath and on the tub. Just the windshield frame is rusting through . As of now it sits on a ~4" pro comp lift with 33's on stock axles. The ride is horrible and even have a partially bent leaf (Time to throw it out!). I've been researching all kinds of modifications I want to make and it's finally time to take some action! I'm wondering what upgrades would be most wise to make with long term hopes of completing the following..

-SOA on either waggy springs or RE 7" kit to clear 35-38" tires
-1 ton axles of sorts (undecided)
-**Chevy Gen III+ (LS if possible) swap retaining np231 with SM465

I don't have the money to do the engine swap as of now but I am aware that I will need to prepare the jeep for it anyway, especially with hd axles to handle anything I throw at it. I would like to do the lift first to get it sitting and riding the way I want it.

So, the question is where do I start? Axles? SOA?

I would like some experienced opinions as to where I can put my money without having to throw it out when I finally do swap the engine and tranny. I appreciate any help you can provide!

Also, I can weld and cut & intend do some of the custom fab myself (with a little supervision of course)

_BENevolent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am really not gonna give specific advice at this point. You have some ideas for sure. Your in a great place to start your research. Look thru the yj area and the "builds" area. This will get you going.

The 4.0, 5spd combo you have can do quite a bit with the right gearing so doing the axles, lift etc... is a great place to start.

Couple questions to start.

Do you want this to be trail only, street only or a varied mix of both? IE: Mostly a daily driver with 1 - 2 offroad trips a year.

Do you want or are you willing to cut into or modify the body? IE: tube fenders front and rear, comp cuts, modified fuel filler, taillights, etc...

Couple areas to consider. 1 ton's are not really needed and imho a waste for 35" tires. People do them all the time but... an 8.8 ford rear and a beefed front d30(which you have now) can go a long way. The dis advantage would be non full width and of course not quite as durable.

If your going 37's and up i would say full width 3/4-1 tons all the way. There are multiple ways to go and lots of research will help there. IE: do you want to stay driver side drop, stock style t case up to an atlas or anything in between?

You have a good platform to start with and the sky is literally the limit. Good luck and keep us updated.
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to include a pic so you've got an idea of what I'm working with! Any help? I'm new to this forum. Thanks!
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With that kind of plans I say you should work with what you have until you can do a LARGE portion of it at once. You will kick yourself if you do SOA before you get axles and have to re work things.

My advice is plan plan plan. BEFORE you do ANYTHING. Save up. make sure all the littel stuff is taken care of first. Then get your axles. Build them. Then put them under once you have your SOA nailed down. If you really plan to do a LS3 you will have to change the entire drive train. Which would likely mean different drive lines and drive shaft lengths. So again I would try to do it all at once. To avoid doing things twice.

Good luck on it. And do your homework.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95YamJam, I would like to keep the Jeep as my daily driver if at all possible. I definitely plan on taking it off road every chance I get, way more than twice a year! I am absolutely willing to cut/modify the body for things like tube fenders, tail lights and fuel filler relocation. I have no problem with tearing into the old beaut as long as she comes out improved! I have been reading a looooot of posts on here throughout my research and will continue to.
Speaking about the lift/axles I will be in the market for new tires in the next couple thousand miles and would like to do whatever I have to (beef up axles or increase lift) before I break the bank on the rubbers. Should I lift it enough for 35's+ with SYE & CV driveshaft before swapping in a sturdier axle such as the ford 8.8?
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rambo3489 that makes a lot of sense to not bother with SOA until I have the axle I plan on using. I'd like to avoid the unnecessary/awkward in between stages such as having D35's and 37" tires, that'd just be stupid. Is there an axle I could get now that would allow tire growth up to 38" and 400 hp in a v8? I would like to keep it reasonably priced, using salvaged parts if available.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How long have you had you jeep and how experienced are you wheeling it?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rykemc, I have had the jeep for roughly 2 years and my brother owned it before me. I have really enjoyed working on it and learning as I go. As far as wheeling goes.. I am by no means skilled. I feel like I can't really improve on more technical trails since my pro comp lift has virtually no flex. I am very eager to learn and improve though, and would like a rig that can handle the abuse that a relatively inexperienced wheeler can dish out. I am aware that any experience level will result in broken parts at times but that's part of the adventure, right?
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BENevolent_ View Post
rykemc, I have had the jeep for roughly 2 years and my brother owned it before me. I have really enjoyed working on it and learning as I go. As far as wheeling goes.. I am by no means skilled. I feel like I can't really improve on more technical trails since my pro comp lift has virtually no flex. I am very eager to learn and improve though, and would like a rig that can handle the abuse that a relatively inexperienced wheeler can dish out. I am aware that any experience level will result in broken parts at times but that's part of the adventure, right?
Fantastic response and one I was hoping for. You know your rig and you also now what your skill level is at. You now can make a reasonable plan on what you want out of your rig and build it to meet your goals. Good luck with your build and do a lot of research. I drove and wheeled mine with a worn out procomp lift for a little over two years until I wanted more out of my jeep. I put together a plan, saved up the money to do it exactly how I wanted and then started my build after I had all the pieces together. Both in my head, on paper and finances available to get it done. Keep us all posted and do not be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of friendly, knowledgable people on this forum who are more than willing to help you out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trying to include a pic so you've got an idea of what I'm working with! Any help? I'm new to this forum. Thanks!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...sting-1407740/
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you! One of the main reasons for wanting to do this is to put my hands on it to expand my knowledge for even more complex future projects.
image-2071976470.jpg  
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
rambo3489 that makes a lot of sense to not bother with SOA until I have the axle I plan on using. I'd like to avoid the unnecessary/awkward in between stages such as having D35's and 37" tires, that'd just be stupid. Is there an axle I could get now that would allow tire growth up to 38" and 400 hp in a v8? I would like to keep it reasonably priced, using salvaged parts if available.
Ford 9" or dana 60/70. My vote is for the Ford 9" its what I went with. Stronger than a 60 with more ground clearance. Either route you should be able to get one for 100-200. If you look.

Do your research on anything and everything before you buy. There are different variations of those axles out there some are better than others. If your building it you need to know exactly what you are looking for. I learned this one first hand. My first for 9" was not the best choice I could have made. Luckily I found the perfect one.

You have a long and challenging road ahead of you. But it will no doubt be a rewarding one. Good luck and ask questions.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
_BENevolent_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rambo3489, I have read about a bunch on different axles. I heard the ford 9" has really undesirable DS angles due to pinion height. Keep in mind I'd like the option of running 37"+/- tires with up to twice as much HP/torque turning them. If I have that kind of power, I don't think I'll be able to keep my foot out of the pedal! Racing ricers would never get old. That's the reason I lean toward a chevy 1 ton. The bad thing I hear about chevy is the low ground clearance.
I appreciate your thoughts!
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pinion angle is not the greatest you have me there. Imo it is not really a big deal. You could go with a currie high 9. Then you would have the best of both worlds. Not sure how much you want to be spending here though.

My 9" is supposed to be good up to 1000+ hp. I'll never find out for sure on that one tho... We'll maybe..

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.