Where to start intermittent cut out - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to start intermittent cut out

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #46
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was gonna ask about the fuel pressure situation too. It almost has to be a fuel delivery problem from the sound of it. Good luck man, thanks for getting back to let everyone know what's up.

clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #47
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now that I've got the body lift done and fixed the steering noise yesterday, I'll be renting the pressure gauge again tonight and seeing if it drops at all with the hoses not smashed. I took the Jeep for a drive Sunday to try and make it do it so I could try a few things and it refused to do it. It was about 100 degrees out and I drove farther than I normally have to in order to get it to act up. So once I get the gauge on tonight hopefully it will act up or just stop all together.
bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #48
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing I am afraid of is that when that return line gets blocked for whatever reason and its run for any length of time something eventually gives; either the regulator or the pump itself. Keep us posted.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #49
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think your right Que89yj, I finally got somewhere tonight. I was able to get the hood closed with the gauge working finally by stuffing towels on both sides of the hose and then closing it. I didn't have the gauge really close to the window so I couldn't get the exact number while driving but psi was somewhere around 38 holding steady. I finally feel the jeep cut and immediately the gauge starts jumping. Not very far at this point but it basically looks like someone is shaking it. It starts cutting worse and the pressure drops to 10 and then 0 as it cuts completely. I let off the gas it goes back to 10 and then back to 0 as I gas it and it cuts more.

So I'm thinking the return line got smashed causing high pressure and also killing the pump in the process. I lifted it getting the pressure back to where it should be but the pump was already dead from the high pressure. Now the issue is from what I've seen on here in a brief search and also talking to a Jeep mechanic is finding the right pump as there are a bunch of different ones for jeeps.
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #50
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well at least it seems like you are starting to narrow it down more!!
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #51
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A mechanic friend of mine says he will only replace fuel pumps with OEM ones. He had to many problems with knock off pumps and when you have to pull the tank to fix it a second time, well, don't go cheap when alot of labor is involved.
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #52
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on either the Bosch or Delphi. Everyplace I've checked with locally either carries Bosch or Airtex. I know Bosch was stock for awhile but I think in 94-95 it was something different? I know a Jeep mechanic who has owned a Jeep shop for 25 years and he said good look getting the right part. He said about half the time you order one and drop the tank you find out it is the wrong one.
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #53
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My local NAPA guy came up with a big beefy Carter brand to replace the Bosch - I could recommend either one.
NAPA part number PA74155

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 08-11-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: part numbers help
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #54
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally got around to changing the fuel pump. Bought a Bosch from NAPA it looks identical to the factory but the part number was slightly different. Pretty easy job I cut the floor instead of lowering the tank. Took about 10 minutes to cut the floor and have old pump out. Whole job would have probably taken an hour or less but I put everything back together and the jeep wouldn't start. Had to take it back apart and the ground on the new pump wasn't hooked up. Took a 40 minute drive at 65 including going up hill with no problems, I think its fixed.
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #55
jeepster11
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My 92 had an intermittent stall...I had a bad distributor coil. Grounding the coil showed weak and intermittent spark.
jeepster11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.