Where to start intermittent cut out - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to start intermittent cut out

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #31
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

hmm so did your problem go away?

clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #32
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I haven't checked for sure but I know that a pinched line was causing the high pressure and assume it was the problem. I guess I should get a wood block or something and block the back and go for a drive to make sure. I've been planning a 1 inch body lift anyways mainly just to replace the deteriorating stock mounts.
bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #33
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool let us know how it turns out. Good luck with the body mounts, I have heard they are a PITA to work with.
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #34
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The rears are especially a pita. High pressure is just as bad as low pressure. Think about the amount of fuel being injected at esentally 2x the amount the calibration is expecting. Read up on those rear mounts, pb blast and a torch are your best friend in getting those out.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #35
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As I found out, we broke the furthest back drivers side bolt when we pulled the two mounts so I've already got the task of fixing that before the lift. Hopefully with some PB a torch and an air rachet that will be my only break.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #36
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck man. Take some pics and let us know how it turns out. I need to replace my body mounts too but I have been procrastinating because I know it will be very painful haha. Plus, if this fixes your engine's issues it will be something that I never considered might cause mine.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #37
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you might have a problem with timing or the distributor to me.
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #38
93RedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same problem but it never actually cuts out and dies...it only did that once. I replaced the distributor cap, coil pack, wires, plugs and nothing. I can't track down the issue but the fuel pressure seems really high because when I took my gas cap off it almost blew off with all the pressure built up inside. It also skip on bumps all the time. How would I check for a pinched fuel line or something like you guys are talking about? Thanks!
93RedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #39
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you read this entire post you see his fuel pressure was almost double. It sounds like your vent line are pinched. You should never have that much pressure in your fuel tank. The fuel pressure can't be guaged by your tank. Post up a new thread for your jeep. I'm sure we can get it figured out.
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #40
93RedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's been in the garage for over 2 weeks getting a new windshield frame and a few other parts so I haven't had it out driving in a while. In a few days I'll post up exactly what's going on in a new thread. Thanks for the help.
93RedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #41
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got my lift in today and have been in the process of trying to remove rusted bolts. 5 hours later were down to 2 left in the jeep. I live in a dry climate and my Jeep isn't that rusted so I'm amazed at how stuck they are even with 3 days worth of soaking PB Buster. Whoever at Jeep decided back in the day that it would be a good idea to put large square blocks on each bolt needs to be hit in the face with a bat. Hopefully we can get the last two out tomorrow and finish the lift and find out if that's our problem.
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #42
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #43
jimdavis577
1987 YJ Wrangler 

IF you pull your fuel cap off and pressure comes out ... ITS YOUR VENT LINE ... comming fromt he charcoal cannister ... there is a lil valve in the top of the fuel tank called a roll over valve. It may have become clogged or stuck closed .... in return what this does is ... it can create a vacum or a over pressure of the fuel tank causing everythign from running rich to sputtering ...... belive me i have a 4.2 and mine was doing this for months .. some days would run fine others couldnt keep it running. Cap would damn near fly off when turned .... I checked the vent line going to the tank .... could not blow into the tank ... so dropped the tank come to find out the line going into was clogged closed ... pushed a wire through it and put all back together .... GOOD to GO. .... so basicly ... with the line clogged it cant let air in or out .... depending on the outside temps and the usage of fuel ... on a cool day no hard driving it may be fine ... hot days or alot of road heat ... warming hte tank ... over pressure , ..... alot of fuel consupmtion ..... vacum on tank ... sputtering !! ..... worth looking into and very simple .... just blow into the vent line going to the tank off the charcoal cannister !

87 YJ 4.2 nuttered waggy springs and axles SOA , XRC8 winch, OBA, custom cage and sliders ..... building a AMC V8 for it now ... soon very soon !
jimdavis577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #44
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So it wasn't the lift. It did look like the hoses were indeed smashed but its still is cutting out. Also added a nice steering shudder from the lift and some new rattles in the mounts since the zone lift is a piece of crap and doesn't come with new rubbers. I also can't find new rubbers without buying a whole new kit so I'm going to have to make some. I guess its also time to go back through the thread and try other ideas.

jimdavis577 that makes sense if that was it being that I never noticed it until it got hot. I live in Boise and its near or over 100 everyday now which is when it started. I'm not getting pressure at the cap though. I'll check that line though.
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #45
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, is your pressure staying at a constant 32 now?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.