Where should I be looking for this leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Where should I be looking for this leak?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Where should I be looking for this leak?

Ok, so I changed my oil today and noticed for the first time that there is what looks like a coating of oil across the back half of my YJ, but it doesnt seem to be coming from anywhere? Ideas? Ive included pics

5-6-001-medium-.jpg   5-6-007-medium-.jpg   5-6-008-medium-.jpg   5-6-009-medium-.jpg  
paxcrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am guessing your rear output shaft seal is leaking... the seal in the first picture to the transfer case looks worn and old. Its spinning fluid everywhere off the driveshaft.

Pick up a new one for a few bucks and pop it in - its an easy job.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!

Last edited by jaycal3; 05-06-2010 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: added thought
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oil leak getting blown from driving?
Spilling something in the interior and it coming out of a drain plug? Possibilities are endless really!
Get more pictures focusing on where it possibly starts or where the most abundant of the substance is located.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I will take more pictures tomorrow when it is light out. JayCal, that does sound about the area where it is. Whatever it may be its definitely a small leak, I checked the oil level before I changed it, and it didn't need any.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dont think its oil - not in the rear... that little seal leaks and spins ATF everywhere. Check your ATF level on the fill plug of the transfer case... if its leaking its a small amount at a time - when you park overnight put a piece of cardboard down under the rear driveshaft and see in the am if you have a spot - it would be reddish in color.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
cbmadcow
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
I am guessing your rear output shaft seal is leaking... the seal in the first picture to the transfer case looks worn and old. Its spinning fluid everywhere off the driveshaft.

Pick up a new one for a few bucks and pop it in - its an easy job.
I agree about the transfer case. Replace that output seal refill the TC.

Kevin
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh, I gotcha. I'll have to do it when the wind dies down here, no way anything is going to stay in one place tonight. It is probably the original seal from 88, so I wouldn't doubt it needing to be replaced.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Looks exactly like my jeep... I have just been to lazy to change out the $5 seal..... Ill get to it one of these days.... or just do a SYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
yjmoose
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On my jeep, after I replaced that seal, it still leaked from there. I found out that the yoke that goes into to the t-case has a metal plug (similar to a freeze plug) that was leaking on mine. I sealed it with some rtv and that completely eliminated the leak. So if after you replace the seal you still have a leak, you might want to check that.
yjmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Moose
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep did that even after I replaced the seal and bushing in the tail. I found out that the slip yoke has a small hole in it between the ears of the yoke. When you pull the D/S to replace the seal check for a tiny hole in the metal cap between the yokes of the slip part of the D/S. It always slung a bit of atf all over and the bottom of my Jeep looked just like your pic. Never enough to drip on the ground. Never had to add any atf to the tcase between yearly oil changes. I considered it rustproofing! my new D/S has no hole and no leaks...
OOPS to late! LOL..
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to check the levels tomorrow, then clean out the garage so I can get to work. Gravel is hard on the back

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.