Where is the fuel pump relay on a 1993 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Where is the fuel pump relay on a 1993 yj

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
96zjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Where is the fuel pump relay on a 1993 yj

I would like to know where the fuel pump relay is on my jeep because it will not start. If anyone knows where it is I would appreciate the help thank you fellow jeepers

96zjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zjman View Post
I would like to know where the fuel pump relay is on my jeep because it will not start. If anyone knows where it is I would appreciate the help thank you fellow jeepers
I beleive it is on the Power Distribution Center under the hood. Most of the relays used in the YJ are identical to each other but I doubt that the relay is bad. They rarely go bad. See if you have any spark.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
96zjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh it has spark cause it will run as long as I spray starting fluid in it. And the fuel filter is not clogged. But the fuel pump is not running so I thought I would try the relay before I drop the tank full of gas.
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh it has spark cause it will run as long as I spray starting fluid in it. And the fuel filter is not clogged. But the fuel pump is not running so I thought I would try the relay before I drop the tank full of gas.
Did not know you did check for spark. You can not hear the pump engage when the key is turned to the ON postion? Mine is a real quiet devil. Then I would check the wiring going to the fuel pump. They are exposed and can get corroded.

What about a clogged fuel filter? It would be cheaper to replace just to see if that was your problem.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

this is where it is on a 92 with a 6 cyl.
you can test it by swapping with the horn relay.
jeep-starter-002.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
96zjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I did not hear it but like you say if it is quiet then I might not have listened real good. I checked the filter and the gas flows out of it just fine. I have not checked the connections to the fuel pump yet. Thanks for your help I will keep you posted on what I find out tomorrow when I look into the wires more(my test light it at work)
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
96zjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I swapped out the horn relay to the fuel pump relay and now the pump kicks on but it does not sound right it just sounds like something hitting the tank and it still does not start. It has spark and the fuel lines arent clogged.
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I swapped out the horn relay to the fuel pump relay and now the pump kicks on but it does not sound right it just sounds like something hitting the tank and it still does not start. It has spark and the fuel lines arent clogged.
Does your horn work with the fuel pump relay? If so then you relay was good if nothing else.

You say the fuel lines are not clogged.
How did you determine that?
Is there fuel getting through to the injectors when the ignition is turned to start?
Now if you are getting spark and some fuel pressure either the filter is clogged or the pump can not give you the pressure needed.

For the small money I would change out the fuel filter no matter what. If nothing else it eliminates it as the culprit.

Next step would be to determine the fuel pressure you are getting Or you can drop the tank and replace the fuel pump.
I would not replace it unless I knew it was NG. I don't think the are cheap and dropping the tank could be a pain depending upon the condition of the tank straps, fuel lines, etc.
I would crawl under the back of your YJ and have a buddy hiyt the key so I could get a good 'listen' to the noise you seem to be hearing.

Unread 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another item to conside is the fuel pressure regulator!

Unread 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
96zjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My horn does work with fuel pump relay.
I checked the lines with the fuel line unhooked in front of the fuel filter and fuel came out when i cranked it over. I also unhooked them at the engine and fuel came out. I dont know if there is fuel getting to the injectors or not. Where is the fuel pressure regulator at?
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

the regulator is on the end of the fuel rail (fan side), there is a sendor on the fuel rail that shuts off the engine if it senses that there is not enough pressure in the line so that you don't run lean and run hot (lots of bad outcomes) the fuel should spray pretty hard out of the line you disconnected earlier, I have seen the filter socks on the end of the fuel pump clog up too, and pumps do sometimes go weak. check it out more and get back to us
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
KEEFFIE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where the fuel lines meet the fuel rail. see the little vac line? it goes to the little fuel pressure regulator located just behind the fuel line on the left where they meet the rail.
KEEFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

get a pressure gauge there not expensive and its the only way you will know what the condition of the fuel system is. just attach the tester to the test port in the middle of the fuel rail.

with the key on the pressure should be 31 psi, the same as when the jeep is idling.

to test the regulator, un plug the vac line to the regulator and the pressure should go up 8 to 10 psi. to around 40 psi.

if the regulator is working ,when you rev the motor the gauge will shortly go up and then back down to 31psi.

if the pressure goes way beyond 42 or more then the return line is plugged or kinked.

if you plug the return line completely the pressure goes as high as as 95 psi.

Its possible that the fuel filter is bad,or a kink in the supply line,or some sort of blockage. the fuel pump also might not be up to snuff to.

if you here the fuel pump relay clicking and there is good voltage and a good ground to the pump, and the lines arnt kinked the pump is probably bad.

if you have good pressure and capacity, then it has to be in the injectors or what controls them. the ECU tells the injectors how much and how long to fire.

there is a way to check capacity by using the bleed line on the tester and using a watch see how much flows into a container, but i forgot what the specs are. you can search that.

note that every time you take off the fuel lines at the rail, you have to replace the o'rings and little plastic spacer .
92-jeep-fuel-pressure-test-001.jpg   92-jeep-fuel-pressure-test-002.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My horn does work with fuel pump relay.
I checked the lines with the fuel line unhooked in front of the fuel filter and fuel came out when i cranked it over. I also unhooked them at the engine and fuel came out. I dont know if there is fuel getting to the injectors or not. Where is the fuel pressure regulator at?
it sounds as tho the ecu is not telling the injectors to fire. whenyou took the lines off at the front of the engine, did ALOT of fuel come out or just a little. as previuosly mentioned, the pressure should be 31 to 39 psi, vac line on and off respectively. it will not runwith low pressure (10psi=no go). also, when you turn the key off, the pressure should hold at 30psi. it should not bleed down within 1/2 hour or so. if it does, thenyou have issues with either the regulator or the check valve in the pump.

mine does not hold pressure and is long on start time.

do you have a repair manual--pressure gauge?

bigsquat--thanks for the pics!!!

Last edited by wildman90; 12-18-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: give bigsquat his props--speln eror
wildman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wildman when can i using your pics? just hang on to my coattails as long as you want!

it is really hard to tell whats wrong without a gauge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.