where do these wires go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > where do these wires go?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
rrhoads90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

where do these wires go?

So today i was pulling some wires from behind the dash and found these guys just hanging out, figuring some are for the A/C if i had one. so if anyone can recognize these it would be much appreciated just to put my mind at ease.

besides that nothing doesn't seem to not be working except some in dash lights such as check engine, right turn indicator, etc but I'm figuring those are just bad bulbs to be handled another day.

jeep-wiring-close.jpg   wiring.jpg  
rrhoads90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Blue one looks to be a socket for an indicator bulb. It may belong in the flat spot to the right of your steering column, (you can just see the bottom of it just right of center/top above the screw hole in your second photo) comes in from the top to illuminate the switches you don't likely have there. Either that or it could be the bulb for your temp/heat/defrost/vent control system, yes there is a light for that. IDK about the others without tearing into my Heep.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
rrhoads90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

awesome i think i see the void for where the blue one goes, your right there is nothing there yet one day hopefully some winch, off road lights, or locker toggles could go there.
rrhoads90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try take a look at this thread, got some good stuff about that blue circled one and the previously mentioned flat spot. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-dash-1432021/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The one circled in green looks like it is for fog light switch

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
rrhoads90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
The one circled in green looks like it is for fog light switch
fog light switch likely supposed to be in the panel just below and to the right of the steering column? there is just a hole there where something obviously use to be routed.
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
rrhoads90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump, still no idea what the other plugs possibly go to. Managed to put the light socket in its place.
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

purple one looks like one of the 2 that go to the defrost/heat/vent control switch .. on the top right there are 2 one plugs into the front and one into the back of it.

Blue is the spot that Opihi says above the "switch" panel where there are no switches in most jeeps.

Yellow goes to the male plug under the dash near the column, if it is what I think.

Now my question is, what is your tub sprayed with?

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
rrhoads90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

PO got the interior painted cheaply, its chipping in places im throwing bedliner on in the future. Thanks for the input im going to be able to look into it tomorrow.
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
av8rsims

Not to steal this thread, but have a couple of wires that I'm not sure where they go. After pulling my dash and working on all the panels I ran into a few wires that I can't seem to find a home for (if there is one). It's on a '91 2.5L. Thanks in advance for any info.
photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

av8rsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rsims View Post
Not to steal this thread, but have a couple of wires that I'm not sure where they go. After pulling my dash and working on all the panels I ran into a few wires that I can't seem to find a home for (if there is one). It's on a '91 2.5L. Thanks in advance for any info.
In the first pic doesn't that go to the back of the cigar lighter?

Second pic green circle. Don't they got to the door switch?
That other one in the black circle...?? at this point.

What doesn't work? That should be a good way to know what might not be wired up

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1 . ?
2. door switch
3. ebrake switch
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OP, Green is for your fog lights. The blue one also can be the light that plugs in directly beside the switch. I have two of those pigtails. It all depends on your year and factory installed options I believe. When I bought mine it had no switches, but on the back of the bezel there was cutouts for 2 switches and two spots to put lights. I bought another bezel that had the fog and rear defrost swithes in it. My pigtails are for the lights that back light the coorsponding symbol that is beside the switch. I think the newer years came with slots for 3 switches and went from two back lights to one "illumination light" that goes above the switches. Hope this makes since.
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The yellow one looks like the buzzer. The buzzer for the seat belts.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
av8rsims

Thanks for the replies. Fog lights were never installed so I'll mark those and set them aside for a later date. I connected the wire to the parking brake connection but the parking brake light does not illuminate in the light cluster. Also, I'm having issues with the left turn signal light above steering column illuminating as well. As for the last wire, when I got the jeep it had a cig lighter installed (not factory) and it was connected by two different wires. So, maybe it was the factory connection that was never used. Thx again, I'm not an electrical guy so this is frustrating. I hate having a bunch of wires under the dash that I have no idea what their use is.
av8rsims is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.