where did it go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > where did it go?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

where did it go?

So I was on my way home from work and felt a big bang under my 90 YJ.When I finally found what made the noise. I was shocked, seems my rear driveshaft no longer is under my Jeep. Looked all over the street for it.No where to be found.On further inspection the slip yok snapped off and the u joint at the axle let go.I had no indication that I was having a u joint issue just let go.lucky for me is that the transfer case housing is not damaged or the yok at the axle.now trying to find those pieces are becoming a problem.
All I got to say is luckily I was not on the highway when this happened.

ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to find those parts easily on Eaby....and I think there's a Jeep guy in Mass who parts out vehicles, too.
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you don't drive it around with an empty t-case. Once the slip yoke comes out on a stock NP231 the fluid will dump out (unless you have an SYE).

I'd check craigslist as most folks go for an SYE.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you HAVE to drive it you can cut the bottom off of a soda bottle and duct tape it in place.. be sure to check the fluid level before you drive it any further.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

No I don't have to drive till I get the parts .I bid on one from ebay .The shaft of the slip yok was still there so I didn't lose much fluid out the back of the t-case.Don't you know that it just started to snow on top of it all.
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like what mine did, although I hadn't been going fast so the driveshaft remained attached to the rear axle yoke. Makes a big BANG! indeed.

I hope your slip yoke isn't wedged in the housing like mine was after it went boom. For myself, it was a PITA to remove the tail cone housing with the slip yoke sleeve wedged in it.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
So I was on my way home from work and felt a big bang under my 90 YJ.When I finally found what made the noise. I was shocked, seems my rear driveshaft no longer is under my Jeep. Looked all over the street for it.No where to be found.On further inspection the slip yok snapped off and the u joint at the axle let go.I had no indication that I was having a u joint issue just let go.lucky for me is that the transfer case housing is not damaged or the yok at the axle.now trying to find those pieces are becoming a problem.
All I got to say is luckily I was not on the highway when this happened.
I recently put a SYE on my jeep and still have my stock rear ds. Send me a pm with an offer if you are interested.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

I can get the rest of the slip yok shaft out. Right now it is holding the fluid in from leaking out.I have a bid on one from ebay so waiting to see if I get that one.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fyi there are many different driveshaft lengths for our jeeps.. I had my old one that needed repalcing due to u joint failure and it was still hard to find a match at a large jeep junkyard.
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
fyi there are many different driveshaft lengths for our jeeps.. I had my old one that needed repalcing due to u joint failure and it was still hard to find a match at a large jeep junkyard.
So true, everything I read and looked up said my driveshaft should have been something like 15 1/2" but it ended up being 12 "
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can't imagine one just breaking. I would think something locked up that caused this to break in the first place.

I have a shaft from my 2.5l 5 speed if it will help, I am on my phone so I can't seem to look up your jeeps specs.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.