JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   where did it go? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/where-did-go-1466930/)

ejeeperguy 01-21-2013 12:28 PM

where did it go?

So I was on my way home from work and felt a big bang under my 90 YJ.When I finally found what made the noise. I was shocked, seems my rear driveshaft no longer is under my Jeep. Looked all over the street for it.No where to be found.On further inspection the slip yok snapped off and the u joint at the axle let go.I had no indication that I was having a u joint issue just let go.lucky for me is that the transfer case housing is not damaged or the yok at the axle.now trying to find those pieces are becoming a problem.
All I got to say is luckily I was not on the highway when this happened.

Beachcruiser 01-21-2013 12:47 PM

You should be able to find those parts easily on Eaby....and I think there's a Jeep guy in Mass who parts out vehicles, too.

Louie4 01-21-2013 03:31 PM

Make sure you don't drive it around with an empty t-case. Once the slip yoke comes out on a stock NP231 the fluid will dump out (unless you have an SYE).

I'd check craigslist as most folks go for an SYE.

Mark05059 01-21-2013 03:46 PM

if you HAVE to drive it you can cut the bottom off of a soda bottle and duct tape it in place.. be sure to check the fluid level before you drive it any further.

ejeeperguy 01-21-2013 04:21 PM

No I don't have to drive till I get the parts .I bid on one from ebay .The shaft of the slip yok was still there so I didn't lose much fluid out the back of the t-case.Don't you know that it just started to snow on top of it all.

NonRubicon 01-21-2013 04:50 PM

Sounds like what mine did, although I hadn't been going fast so the driveshaft remained attached to the rear axle yoke. Makes a big BANG! indeed.

I hope your slip yoke isn't wedged in the housing like mine was after it went boom. For myself, it was a PITA to remove the tail cone housing with the slip yoke sleeve wedged in it.

uhohthe50 01-21-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejeeperguy (Post 14827296)
So I was on my way home from work and felt a big bang under my 90 YJ.When I finally found what made the noise. I was shocked, seems my rear driveshaft no longer is under my Jeep. Looked all over the street for it.No where to be found.On further inspection the slip yok snapped off and the u joint at the axle let go.I had no indication that I was having a u joint issue just let go.lucky for me is that the transfer case housing is not damaged or the yok at the axle.now trying to find those pieces are becoming a problem.
All I got to say is luckily I was not on the highway when this happened.

I recently put a SYE on my jeep and still have my stock rear ds. Send me a pm with an offer if you are interested.

ejeeperguy 01-22-2013 02:30 PM

I can get the rest of the slip yok shaft out. Right now it is holding the fluid in from leaking out.I have a bid on one from ebay so waiting to see if I get that one.

YJ4LIFE 01-22-2013 02:50 PM

fyi there are many different driveshaft lengths for our jeeps.. I had my old one that needed repalcing due to u joint failure and it was still hard to find a match at a large jeep junkyard.

bogleparsons 01-23-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE (Post 14834453)
fyi there are many different driveshaft lengths for our jeeps.. I had my old one that needed repalcing due to u joint failure and it was still hard to find a match at a large jeep junkyard.

So true, everything I read and looked up said my driveshaft should have been something like 15 1/2" but it ended up being 12 "

gunshw301 01-23-2013 06:23 AM

Can't imagine one just breaking. I would think something locked up that caused this to break in the first place.

I have a shaft from my 2.5l 5 speed if it will help, I am on my phone so I can't seem to look up your jeeps specs.

The time now is 12:10 AM.