where is 0 degrees advance on this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > where is 0 degrees advance on this?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

where is 0 degrees advance on this?

hey guys... did nutter bypass and going to set my timing... problem is, i cant tell on this damned thing where 0 timing advance should be... (when I began, it was sitting right around 8, i now have it sitting at the 0...)

imag0007.jpg  
rbthompsonv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

there is a notch on the dampener. Line it up with the number you want.
Also its the 2nd raise ling up from that hole, the slashes are in increments of 2
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
there is a notch on the dampener. Line it up with the number you want.
Also its the 2nd raise ling up from that hole, the slashes are in increments of 2
ok... im aware that the timing marks are in increments of 2. and i am aware where the 0 on the graduated marks are are... i am asking, where is 0 degrees advanced from top dead center...

as in, you can advance and retard your timing in relation to 0 degrees advance from top dead center... question is where is 0 degrees on this scale (the zero CANT be 0 degrees... otherwise youre saying that the timing can ONLY be advanced, and not retarded...
Unread 04-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Advance = earlier spark,
Retard = later spark
Top dead center = zero degrees, the piston is all the way to the top of the cylinder

These terms can be applied in reference to fixed and relative positions. In the fixed sense relative to top dead center, anything before top dead center is considered "advance", and anything after top dead center is considered "retard". But relatively speaking, from any given point, you can adjust the timing to give an earlier spark (advance) or a later spark (retard).

Unless your engine is really messed up it should not be set to zero degrees timing, let alone anything more retarded to a point after top dead center. That's why you don't see anything much beyond 2* ATDC on the timing marks. It just isn't within specs.

So, you see the 8* mark in your photo? That is where you want the timing set to, or very close. The timing for the nutter should be around 8* (+/- 2*) before top dead center.
timing-marks-yj.jpg

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

See this notch on the cartoon pulley? that is top dead center when it is lined up to the 0 zero mark. Whether its on the compression or exhaust stroke that is top dead center
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if you can't find a the grove in the damper, look down the #1 plug hole with a flash light , slowly turn the damper intill the piston stop's at the top then make the piston go down just a hair than bring it back up , that's just to make sure the piston is at the top. and also my jeep had the mc 2100 and the nutter and no matter what gas I used it pinged, it would just get to advanced with my dizzy, so I unplugged the vac line's to the dizzy , and set the timing at 10 * and it run's great , smooth and powerful.
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
See this notch on the cartoon pulley? that is top dead center when it is lined up to the 0 zero mark. Whether its on the compression or exhaust stroke that is top dead center
Sorry, was there somewhere in my question where I asked "how do i find TDC?"

Please re-read my OP
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

Sorrry you dont seem to get it either. the notch lined up to the zero mark is ZERO degrees and TDC.
you also dont seem to know what your asking either. Since the marks are clear and someone even made you a color picture to point out what is what.
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just trying to help , im sorry, I bet you have load's of FRIED'S.
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

actually, my apologies... I jumped the gun on being a dick.
just went back and looked at my pic... and realized that there is actually a mark BELOW the 0, allowing for 2 degrees ATDC... and while it wasnt the exact question/answer i was looking for, it was information that should have had me get to that conclusion sooner.
Sorry for being an *** in the response, im just a little high strung over this whole damned "not running, hasnt moved since buying it jeep thing" ive gotten myself into.
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To find TDC rotate the crankshaft with a wrench. Use the bolt head on the pulley to turn it. I think it's clockwise. (Check on the rotation) Remove the spark plug from #1 put your finger over the hole. Turn the crankshaft until you feel pressure building in cylinder 1. Put a wood stick of some sort into the spark plug hole. You use wood to not damage anything. A screw driver would work if you're careful. Turn the crankshaft until the piston reaches the highest point. (Use the screwdriver to determine this point) then look at the mark on the pulley. That will tell you where TDC is. It Should be right at 0. If it is not you have problems.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just for the record the ATDC Mark on the housing is 1* not 2.

Op. It's alright. Just try and take it easy. We're here to help from our own good will on our time. Its not like any of us are paid to answer your questions. We're all Good guys just looking to help out for the most part. Sometimes we get arrogant people asking questions. You'll notice those people don't get as good of help. So if you get attitude from some stop and take a look at where it originated from

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Just for the record the ATDC Mark on the housing is 1* not 2.
Why would the after mark be 1 degree when the others are in 2? seems the spacing is the same.
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There's one big and one little. The big ones are even while the little are odd. It looks like the ATDC is a little. Can't really tell for sure

Unread 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Jeepsr4me

look again. big is 4 and little is 2... there is no 1 mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.