When i turn my steering wheel back and fourth it sounds like there is a popping noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
stefans94SE

When i turn my steering wheel back and fourth it sounds like there is a popping noise

When i go around corners it either sounds like my steering box is popping or clunking and i can't figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are going to have to get a friend to move the steering wheel while you look under and try to find out what it is. Could be steering box, loose shackles, loose u-bolts, tie rod ends, there are lots of things that can wear.

Mark

Smoke em if you got em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

could be the frame flexing at the steering box and getting ready to break off... ask me how I know..

1998 ZJ 5.2 Auto

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)

post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

I think the little universal joints on the lower steering shaft would be the first thing to check. The U joints are not available. The entire shaft has to be replaced. But, the other possibbilities already mentioned are quite possible also.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
MattysWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

LOL Come see all my YJ's, first off......... Check the frame around the steering box. I see soemone else knows from experience as well! LOL
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had that happen sometimes especially when it was wet out. Ended up being one of the front springs shifting (millitary wrap).
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have someone watch the steering as it is steered side to side to have the noise occur as you watch from the front. Agree with 93jeepyj. Watch the spring loop in the bushing. What can happen is the grease dries up in the bushing, and it starts to grip the collar, then stops sliding, but pops and moves under pressure when steering. This is something I have had personal experience with, and have had happen to me. It makes quite a popping noise, and you can feel the shift a little sometimes after the pop. watch the bushings real close when the noise happens, if the spring moves a little at the same time in the bushing, that could very well be what it is. You need to grease the bushings. I have also heard of popping noises from a bad steering dampener, but that has never happened to me personally. But obviously, it could be many things as mentioned.

AX5/NV3550 Conversion Thread.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bow Hunting
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
jeepinmichguy_
Soar Forever Six

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
I had that happen sometimes especially when it was wet out. Ended up being one of the front springs shifting (millitary wrap).
Mine does this to.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.