post #1 of Old 10-22-2001, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
jerrys yj

when i make tight turns in 4x4 my jeep bounces forward! WHY???

okay heres my problem. when i put my 91 yj into fourwheel drive and try to make tight turns it feels as if the jeep is lunging forward and stopping and just wont turn nor

17 year old with a 1991 four banger
-3"RC lift
-32's on the way
-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
post #2 of Old 10-22-2001, 08:54 PM
evilpsych

dont turn so sharply and you wont have that problem.. or.. turn as sharp has you want and replace U-joints and axles often.. it's your choice..

Awwwwwwwwwwww... So he wants to go OFF-ROAD does he????

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
post #3 of Old 10-24-2001, 05:45 AM
Atropine

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You have 4 wheels trying to move forward at the same time instead of 2. Also keep in mine that these are your turning wheels too. The only vehicles that wont do this are AWD systems that are designed for full time 4WD.

93' YJ
00' TJ
02' KJ
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
post #4 of Old 10-24-2001, 01:45 PM
cooksterdog

Ok, if your jeep is in 4x4, it is trying to drive BOTH front wheels straight ahead. If you remember, a diffential is supposed to let one wheel move farther, and faster than the other when going around a corner. BUT in 4x4 the diffs work against each other, in that they drive both wheel straight. If you are trying to use 4x4 on hard pavement, or even hard dirt, you are going to rip out some hardware! Even the little bit of slip you get in dirt is enough to let the tires slip and not get bound up. DO NOT USE 4x4 ON PAVEMENT!!! It WILL break your front end or spider gears!

steve and cookie