when i make tight turns in 4x4 my jeep bounces forward! WHY??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > when i make tight turns in 4x4 my jeep bounces forward! WHY???

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-22-2001, 09:33 PM   #1
jerrys yj

when i make tight turns in 4x4 my jeep bounces forward! WHY???

okay heres my problem. when i put my 91 yj into fourwheel drive and try to make tight turns it feels as if the jeep is lunging forward and stopping and just wont turn nor

-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2001, 09:54 PM   #2
evilpsych

dont turn so sharply and you wont have that problem.. or.. turn as sharp has you want and replace U-joints and axles often.. it's your choice..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2001, 06:45 AM   #3
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You have 4 wheels trying to move forward at the same time instead of 2. Also keep in mine that these are your turning wheels too. The only vehicles that wont do this are AWD systems that are designed for full time 4WD.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2001, 02:45 PM   #4
cooksterdog

Ok, if your jeep is in 4x4, it is trying to drive BOTH front wheels straight ahead. If you remember, a diffential is supposed to let one wheel move farther, and faster than the other when going around a corner. BUT in 4x4 the diffs work against each other, in that they drive both wheel straight. If you are trying to use 4x4 on hard pavement, or even hard dirt, you are going to rip out some hardware! Even the little bit of slip you get in dirt is enough to let the tires slip and not get bound up. DO NOT USE 4x4 ON PAVEMENT!!! It WILL break your front end or spider gears!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.