WHen i go deap water offroading my ECu goes bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > WHen i go deap water offroading my ECu goes bad

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Closed Thread
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WHen i go deap water offroading my ECu goes bad

When ever i take my truck is deep nasty water my ECU always stops working correctly. Anyone have a suggestion to make it so i stop going through them so fast. It gets expensive spending $50 just on that, almost everytime i go 4x4

Unread 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you thought about mounting it somewhere it does not get wet?
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I played with RC boats I used to mount my electronics in a tuperwear container to try and keep them dry. Only issue I would run into was if I kept it dry it would get hot and burn out.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you mean your icm(ignition control module) not ecm(engine control module) since you still have the carburetor. One thing you can do is move it higher up on your fender or somewhere higher in the engine bay.

Oh and mljeeper nice risky business reference.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

How deep are you going? Up over the hood I assume?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its at the top of the fire wall as it is. And i would think the radia over flow and wiper cleaner would stop some of the splashing. Ive put bags around it and everything. but if im in deep water, and the mud is thick and put stress when underwater. The next time i go to start the truck, its a nice comment . REMOVED USELESS AVOIDANCE OF THE LANGUAGE FILTER not again.

Last edited by rustywrangler; 04-08-2010 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Purposely defeating the language filter
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquadder View Post
its at the top of the fire wall as it is. And i would think the radia over flow and wiper cleaner would stop some of the splashing. Ive put bags around it and everything. but if im in deep water, and the mud is thick and put stress when underwater. The next time i go to start the truck, its a nice comment . **** not again.
Better not try to get around the language filter. I'm sure your response will be deleted. Maybe relocate the ECU to inside the cab.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In the 3 time it happened i was only going to the button of the bumper ish. There is the deeper ones. But i rather not have to swim to take a picture. This picture is only partially pulled into the puddle gets about a Foot deeper. Nor is this one the deepest. For the most part the puddles are below the ICM or a tiny bit touching it..
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i was thinking about it but kind of lazy to have to cut and resplice the wires or make a very large hole so that i can slide the plug through. Both sound annoying to do. Oh ya this picture was on a day where it did not rain for a long time and before the snorkel
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
its at the top of the fire wall as it is. And i would think the radia over flow and wiper cleaner would stop some of the splashing. Ive put bags around it and everything. but if im in deep water, and the mud is thick and put stress when underwater. The next time i go to start the truck, its a nice comment . S h i t not again.
sorry to bust your bubble (no pun intended) but bags won't keep water out. It needs to be in a solid *sealed* container. Water is a sneaky substance, it will find a way in otherwise.

are you positive you're not just getting your distributor wet anyways? If it gets wet, your Jeep wont run well at all, it can be cured by removing the cap and spraying WD40 in it, put it back on it should run fine again.

btw, if you're going in water deep enough to fry the ICM, have you raised your vent tubes as well? I saw your thread where you added a snorkel, but without raising the vents too, you will be ingesting water into your driveline and contaminating your oils.
If you've neglected to change the oils in a timely manner, you will be hearing all kinds of neat noises in short time.

a Jeep is a not a submarine by design, it takes extensive modifications to numerous components to allow one to handle deeper than normal water, a snorkel is only the tip of the iceberg in that department
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes i have connected the transmission and front differential to the snorkel. And the rear gas tank and rear differential are run insize and mounted at the highest inside point. I drain the differentials every 1 or 2 offroad trips depending on terrain and depth. I do not care for rocks to much because something expensive always breaks.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes i have connected the transmission and front differential to the snorkel. And the rear gas tank and rear differential are run insize and mounted at the highest inside point. I drain the differentials every 1 or 2 offroad trips depending on terrain and depth. I do not care for rocks to much because something expensive always breaks.
dont worry, after about a year or so wheeling in mud, you'll find out how *much* more expensive mud and water actually are when they start killing your wheel bearings, eating brakes, ruining alternators and starters, causing rust to start in knooks and crannies, toasts your clutch, expires your steering stabilizer, puts an end to your Ujoints, you name it, mud will eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner

rocks? get some skid plates and learn to drive, that usually keeps them from ruining things.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
dont worry, after about a year or so wheeling in mud, you'll find out how *much* more expensive mud and water actually are when they start killing your wheel bearings, eating brakes, ruining alternators and starters, causing rust to start in knooks and crannies, toasts your clutch, expires your steering stabilizer, puts an end to your Ujoints, you name it, mud will eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner

rocks? get some skid plates and learn to drive, that usually keeps them from ruining things.
I got out of the mud real quick when I found out how much it was costing me.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alternator, starter lifetime warranty. I strip it to bare metal and repaint the whole thing every year to every other year. I replace the bearing every year anyway. Since my tires and rims way over 100lbs each i go through brakes super fast as it it. I have skid plates and i know how to drive but i do not want to deal with braking axles and all that mumbo jumbo. I dont usaully brake on the trail. I usually brake down when it sits at home after 4x4 and than when i go to start it and go somewhere i get angry. It is my daily drive and i work 20 hours a week for 10 an hour i Do what i know i can affoard. And i am a full time student(edited for spelling to prevent more comments) and athlete and Since i live in new york and theres basically no rocks here. Its hard to go rock crawling. and since i have not have enough money to invest in a car trailer, I do not want to drive my truck long distance, brake down and than have to leave it in the middle of no where. MY truck would last a day before it getting stolen also i have an automatic no clutch
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Anyone else have a smart *** comment????????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.