When did Jeep change the antenna mast? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > When did Jeep change the antenna mast?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My '91 has the two point mount like the red Jeep.

YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I actually researched this - when I needed a new antenna.

The red Jeep has the boat antenna - but it's mounted in the correct location. The second picture is the correct antenna for our Jeeps - but it's mounted in the wrong spot.

The base should be that triangular shaped one, three screws and a rubber gasket between the body and the base:

Some also has a plastic stabilizer mounted a few inches above it that the antenna goes through. This is where the 'two piece' comes from. It keeps it from slapping against the body. This wasn't original.

Remember that YJs in the 90s were competing against the Geos and Samauri for the low cost "Jeep". So Jeep was selling a base YJ with no rear bumper, no back seats or seat belts, no carpets and no radio. So dealers would often mount aftermarket radio and antenna at the dealership. Thus the variety in antenna we see.
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000

Thanks for the link, but that is just not it. Maybe they did use a boat antenna, but it is clear now that Chrysler had 2 antenna parts used in different years. Maybe the two-piece style was a boat part, but I have not been able to find any boat parts that look even close.

Maybe Chrysler bought up 100,000 boat antennas and then used them as spares... The two-piece style seems to be widely distributed over the years (at least 89 through 94), but clearly only on a minority of Jeeps.

Thanks
Drew

The few that have posted with this antenna hardly proves "widely distributed"... How many of these with the boat antenna bought thier YJ NEW from the dealer with this antenna? If they are not the original owner, there is a very high probability it was swapped out by a previous owner. In my rebuild of my '89 (which had the single mount factory style) I looked at switching to one of these boat antennas, which look exactly like what you have pictured, but opted for a CB style mounted on the rear of the Jeep. A dealer could have installed this in a new, bare bones Jeep to add a radio, but this was NOT a Chrysler/AMC factory installed part. It was NOT specifically made for the Wrangler, so it wil NOT come up in any parts catalog as such, and they can be found online as BOAT antennas. These are the facts, I am sorry if you don't agree.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
The few that have posted with this antenna hardly proves "widely distributed"... How many of these with the boat antenna bought thier YJ NEW from the dealer with this antenna? .
Because they are all identical, and they are distributed over a long time span. None of them are chrome, the mount points all look the same. That is pretty strong evidence that at a minimum, it was a dealer installed option, possibly for Jeeps that did not ship with an antenna.

Your facts are not equal to my facts. It's not that I have a problem with your opinion, but I also don't think you have the facts right.

In the end I don't care what kind of antenna was used, boat or not. If I could find an identical boat antenna, I would have bought it.

However, all the boat antennas I have found don't look anything like this one.

Drew
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Per the OEM parts catalog:

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000

Because they are all identical, and they are distributed over a long time span. None of them are chrome, the mount points all look the same. That is pretty strong evidence that at a minimum, it was a dealer installed option, possibly for Jeeps that did not ship with an antenna.

Your facts are not equal to my facts. It's not that I have a problem with your opinion, but I also don't think you have the facts right.

In the end I don't care what kind of antenna was used, boat or not. If I could find an identical boat antenna, I would have bought it.

However, all the boat antennas I have found don't look anything like this one.

Drew

My facts are simply that... Facts. You are stating opinions and assumptions based on limited observations. Just trying to let you know the truth and point you in the right direction for a replacement. The style of the mounts may have changed a bit over the years, but what you have is a boat antenna weather it was DEALER installed or not, JEEP did not install this at the factory. Good luck finding what you are looking for.... I'm Out! -unsubscribed-

Matt- Thanks for the links sharing your research.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #22
ArlingtonJP

Any luck finding a replacement mast?

Sorry to respond to an old thread, but I've spent a good bit of time researching and this is the biggest lead I've had. My 95 YJ has the identical antenna set-up as the red one above (albeit positioned a little differently). Drew, any luck finding a replacement mast?

I believe mine is from the Purcellville area, so it seems like it could be a northern VA dealer thing.
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

ArlingtonJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #23
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my 87 uses the single mount and so did my wife's 93. they were stock from the factory though so maybe those others are dealer mounted, like mentioned earlier?
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
ArlingtonJP

Coincidentally, a friend just came through for me. In case anyone is interested, Amazon carries this antenna set-up (Metra 44-UP58):

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-44-UP58-.../dp/B0007WQ8RA
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #25
1320yj

My 95 has the exact same antenna as the red jeep on page #1. I believe it is factory because rhe screws in the body (the jeep) were not just drilled and screwed into the metal but appear to be punched and threaded into the panel. I have had no luck finding an identical replacement so I will be installing one I purchased from Morris 4X4
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #26
ArlingtonJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj View Post
My 95 has the exact same antenna as the red jeep on page #1. I believe it is factory because rhe screws in the body (the jeep) were not just drilled and screwed into the metal but appear to be punched and threaded into the panel. I have had no luck finding an identical replacement so I will be installing one I purchased from Morris 4X4
I believe the Metra 44-UP58 I posted the Amazon link to earlier is the exact replacement to the antenna on the red Jeep on page 1.
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #27
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I as well have the antenna that has 2 mounting locations. I have an 87. Definatly a factory antenna.

EDIT: Looks like the second picture, but in the first pictures location with a bracket above it the antenna goes through
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome -- I never found one but I will buy the one from Amazon!

Thank you!

Drew
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #29
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it was a factory item, I believe it would show in the manual. I am not the original owner of my 87 and my wife was not the original owner of her 93 but both list am/FM stereos on the build sheets so I know they are factory. And when I had to replace them since both were snapped off when we purchased them, a quick search on morris and quadratech showed the same single mount, three screw antenna and mount.

I understand about odd ball parts and differing options but I would believe the build sheet and parts manual
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #30
yjdude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have two '95 yjs. Both manufactured in december of 95. But two different antennas. Sometimes I think whatever the guy on the assembly line felt like putting on the jeep is what they got lol. No ryhm or reason to it. One of mine has an antena like the second pic, and one is mounted up on the cowel infront of the winshield hinge.
yjdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.