Wheelin auto or wheelin stick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheelin auto or wheelin stick

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wheelin auto or wheelin stick

I have a Standard YJ and wheeled it little to well none. My J-O-B is life right now. So my question is this... What are the upsides and what are the downsides to Wheelin with an Auto trans Vs. a Standard trans.? I already have a few ideas but want to hear from some who do this more than I have and more experience.

KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
doweller
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJFactor View Post
I have a Standard YJ and wheeled it little to well none. My J-O-B is life right now. So my question is this... What are the upsides and what are the downsides to Wheelin with an Auto trans Vs. a Standard trans.? I already have a few ideas but want to hear from some who do this more than I have and more experience.

My friend and I went wheeln' and he has a standard and I a auto.
I have heard and experience from more than one person that an Auto is less likly to break ( an axle) do to the nature of the poping of the clutch. But i will gaurentee after my reply that hundreds of post will be made to choose the standard.

Just my opinion and due to the deal I got on my jeep no choice.

my thoughts
doweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
ExNeph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Auto: push pedal to floor and go. Slow down. Creep. Go.

Stick: Put in gear and go. Slow down. Clutch. Go. Slow down. Clutch. Go.

No matter. My personal opinion? I love driving it. The woods, the road, through bushes, up hills, into trees, up skyscrapers, in traffic, through the air, back in time.. The stick rocks.

Parts broken/blown up: Engine, clutch, transmission synchros, wheel joint, wheel bearing, front driveshaft u-joints, front shaft oil seal, radiator, water pump, belt, passenger door latch, cat-back exhaust system, front fender flares, front axle seal, transfer case output seal, rear driveshaft u-joints, parking brake..
ExNeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Auto makes it easy, & boring IMO.

Manual gives you another option the auto won't. You can pull the coil wire & use the starter to crawl over something that the engine would cause you to roll on.

It can get tricky wheeling a stick, I only have two feet so I installed a home-brewed line lock on my front brakes.

It (and/or the parking brake) can hold me still while I figure out what to do next.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
clayballs
1991 YJ Wrangler 

well, personally i have a 91 yj with the 4 liter and ax 15 (standard) transmission and besides having to rebuild it because of the previous owner who screwed it all up, double clutching and shifting on the fly is a big advantage in my opinion. personally i like having the control. my buddy has an auto 4 liter and personally he cant keep up. Then again in my opinion you dont by a jeep unless its a manual but some like there auto's so there is my two cents
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i went auto second time around just for more control offroading, the manual gets a bit tricky and if you don't wheel a lot your foot gets pretty tired after a day in some tight trails
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Over the years, I have seen these discussions more times than I can count on forums & discussed them at full length with many, many, friends, fellow wheelers etc.

Kinda reminds me of the tracbar topics that so often come up.

Bottom line = it comes down to personel preference along with the overall build & uses.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
doweller
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Over the years, I have seen these discussions more times than I can count on forums & discussed them at full length with many, many, friends, fellow wheelers etc.

Kinda reminds me of the tracbar topics that so often come up.

Bottom line = it comes down to personel preference along with the overall build & uses.
I agree!!! also what jeep become available! LOL
doweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
jmenegazzo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Iīve alwasy owned a stick. and when I have to drive autoīs, I get bored. but I have never wheeled in an auto. just did a little mud on my way to the farm in my dadīs f-350 (auto) but nothing serious.
bottom line,,,,,,stick in my opinion.

--Your YJ is like sex, when itīs good itīs terrific and when itīs bad itīs still pretty good.--
jmenegazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doweller View Post
I agree!!! also what jeep become available! LOL
Agreed. I like wheeling with stick shift because....that's what I have.
Toms87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #11
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My 79 CJ5 was a 3 speed... and a ton of fun... but my wife wouldn't drive it at all... So I picked up a 91 with a TF999. Now we can wheel together because she is not afraid to drive it. Manual can put you in some interesting situations where you end up doing the clutch-gas-brakes tap dance, where an auto you can just push the pedal. Some say it is boring, I say it allows the driver to focus a little more on the trail and not shifting. However, nothing is more fun that sitting at a bottom of a good hill climb in 4lo-2nd gear revving the engine and dumping the clutch and bouncing off a rev limiter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I think Joe summed it up pretty good right there though!

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, it's personal preference.
I prefer the 5 speed, I always have.

Technically -
an auto can be built to do what a manual cannot -
but the manual gives better power transfer.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Both of my Heeps are 5 spd's, and I luv 'em! My wife's minivan is an auto, maybe thats why its boring to drive?

Last edited by ziebartrob; 07-14-2009 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: sp
ziebartrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought an auto so my wife can drive it. (she refuses to learn stick). Now I can't get her out of it. I guess my job is done, I can give her the auto and pick myself up another stick. I have transformed another person into a jeeper.I can finally get rid of that **** minivan!!!
2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tithout a doubt stick, I have fliied my tranny with water two times. If I had a
Automatic I would probably be looking at big buck repair instead of just a flush.

As far a tricky foot work, I installed for $8.00 and it took twenty minutes a hand throttle on my shifter. My feet work the clutch and brake my hand is on the throttle.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.