Wheel won't come off... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel won't come off...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #31
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

it was just rusted, it would be hard to believe but i had that same problem. 1 time with a suburban. couldn't get it off. sprayed pb blaster 10 min later a kicked and it poped right off. again i was wt work and a rusted out 4 runner had the same prob, 10 people trying to get a tire off in home depot lot next to my job. i went in bought a can of pb blaster and sprayed the wheel. talked to the guys for 10 min they didn't believe it would work. a few kicks it came right off.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmcd View Post
it was just rusted, it would be hard to believe but i had that same problem. 1 time with a suburban. couldn't get it off. sprayed pb blaster 10 min later a kicked and it poped right off. again i was wt work and a rusted out 4 runner had the same prob, 10 people trying to get a tire off in home depot lot next to my job. i went in bought a can of pb blaster and sprayed the wheel. talked to the guys for 10 min they didn't believe it would work. a few kicks it came right off.
I used PB, WD, Liquid Wrench, even chain lube! Didn't work.
Longview is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

NOT trying to be Preachy , but If the axle was red hot ,or even close then cooled rapidly the axle is more than likely very brittle now . Ad all the hammering involved I am thinking the axle shaft should be replaced . like said before the carrier and "c" clips should be looked at too . Don't know about where your from but, YJ's are pretty rare in the jY around here , But XJ's are a dime a dozen with the same axles . If that helps .

EDIT : axle shaft

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102joe View Post
NOT trying to be Preachy , but If the axle was red hot ,or even close then cooled rapidly the axle is more than likely very brittle now . Ad all the hammering involved I am thinking the axle should be replaced . like said before the carrier and "c" clips should be looked at too . Don't know about where your from but, YJ's are pretty rare in the jY around here , But XJ's are a dime a dozen with the same axles . If that helps .
I agree. Your axle shaft has been heat treated by torch & rapid cooling. You should replace that axle shaft before you lose a wheel. While you're in there you should inspect your spider gears and C-clips.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview View Post

I cut it off. I heated it till it was red hot and it still wouldn't budge. I heated it and shot water at it I tried everything. So I cut it off.
This why they invented mechanics, to keep people like you from working on cars. By the time you get done fixing this screw up, you could have taken to a mechanic cheaper. I hate to see what that drum will look like by the time you get it off the axle.
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj

This why they invented mechanics, to keep people like you from working on cars. By the time you get done fixing this screw up, you could have taken to a mechanic cheaper. I hate to see what that drum will look like by the time you get it off the axle.
Granted he did a few dumb things tryin to get the wheel off, but its his jeep, his tools, his time and his money. No one needs your pompous opinion. Let the man do as he pleases.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #37
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now depending on what he got red hot. I don't think he actually specified. But heating the rim should have been the focus point. If it was just the rim... Then the axle should be okay. Except for the hammer marks etc on the end of the axle shaft. If I were in his shoes, I'd replace the axle shaft. Not the whole axle. Just the shaft with the hub on the end. Not because of the heat, but because of the hammer marks. If he got the axle shaft hub red hot then quenched it, then yes, I'd replace that for that reason. Also, like others have mentioned, the pin and c clips should be replaced also.
I don't think comments such as above need to be said, we were all in his place at one point in our lives. You get frustrated, don't have the funds or proper tools, whatever the case may be. And it caused you to do something less than smart. There is no need to flame the guy about it. He got the rim off, he was expecting to replace that any how. So now he more than likely has to replace the axle shaft too. Oh well, you live and you learn. Sounds like life to me. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have run into this at least a dozen times if not more, wheels that are so seized on the hubs that nothing seems to break them free. I have an old torsion bar, it's a good 5 feet in length, I jack the offending wheel up and taking care not to strike the jack or stand I take the longest swing I can and whack that mutha with all I've got, I already know I'm changing a wheel anyway, cause no wheel that you pound on is going to be straight when you're done so a solid whack from the rear will usually guarantee a destroyed rim but it will come off, never ever beat on the hub and never beat on the rubber, always beat on the rim just inside the bead where it starts to curve inwards towards the dish. pounding on the rubber you loose your striking force because the rubber rebounds, always go for the rim, most of the time a few taps will do but sometimes you will run into this crap. Always coat your hubs with never seize or grease before you put your rims back on and always clean the mounting surfaces of any rust or corrosion
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep... It all comes down to this. "Ya gonna need a bigger hammer!" You just need to match the correct percussion service tool to the job at hand.
I had to beat mine off with a sledge hammer, and then cut the drum off the axle too!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #40
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Firefyter-Emt;15769063]Yep... You just need to match the job at hand. I had to beat mine off with a sledge hammer

Im sure you didnt really just say that...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #41
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Axle was not red hot. Just rim around lugs holes, and already checked diff today when I drained the fluid. C clip wasn't damaged. I can get a jeep rim for 20 bucks at a local junk yard. I'm also replacing drum so why does it matter what that looks like?
Longview is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #42
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview
Axle was not red hot. Just rim around lugs holes, and already checked diff today when I drained the fluid. C clip wasn't damaged. I can get a jeep rim for 20 bucks at a local junk yard. I'm also replacing drum so why does it matter what that looks like?
It's not so much what it looks like, it's what kinda damage might have been caused. If the c clip and pin look okay. Then that's a bonus. But, if the rim wasn't heated up fast enough and too much heat got to the axle shaft. Then they are right, it could have been tempered. But if the rim was heated fast enough, then the axle hub wouldn't have heated up enough to have been tempered. I think you are fine if you focused on the rim only. But if the axle shaft did get hot enough to temper, then it will be brittle and can break. Now please note, I am not talking about the axle, just the shaft that goes in it to the gears. If you do need to replace it, it should be relatively cheap at a JY. As long as its not all scored and grooved up.
If it did get tempered, it'll probably break when you torque the wheel lol, or hit a bump, hopefully that bumps only at the end of the driveway. And not on a highway.

Unread 08-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #43
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

FYI for everyone.. Tempering is the process or removing hardness from the metal being quenched. This means it makes it bend before breaking aka no brittle fracture.

The axle should be fine to use as is. If anything he made it more ductile
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #44
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89
FYI for everyone.. Tempering is the process or removing hardness from the metal being quenched. This means it makes it bend before breaking.

The axle should be fine to use as is
You are right, I should have said hardening. But I don't think it was heated up enough to re harden it, which makes it brittle.
So yeah. I still think it would be okay, you would have to get it pretty damn hot and then quench it to harden it up again. What did you use to heat it with?

Unread 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #45
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It really comes down to what your comfortable with . If you're confident it didn't get hot, then run it . By the way It not so much the heat as the rapid cooling that causes the damage or change in molecular structure ,I should say .
My opinion is a $75 dollar axle shaft is cheap peace of mind . A good friend of mine had a Ford 9" shaft snap right at the hub . While getting on the freeway causing him to flip his Jeep several times . He went to the Hospital and the Jeep went to the wrecking yard .
Sure you did what needed to be done to get the wheel off . I live in CA so I have never seen anything like that, like I said . Negative post like the one earlier dont do anyone any good , except make someone feel superior while remaining anonymous via internet . For what ??
Any how just trying to help move forward . Hoping the suggestions are taken that way . Do what you need to do and keep posting , dont shy from asking questions . Good luck

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.