Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

wheel spacing?

662 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ErikJordan 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm currently running 32x11.50x15 tires on the stock alum. rims. I also noticed that there is a alum spacer ring behind the rim to help clearance :( I am getting ready to buy new rims and tires and do not want these tires to rub my springs like the old tires do when I turn. Does anyone know what backspacing on the rim I should use to keep this from happening? The old rims are suppost to be 3.5". I want them as close to the fenderwall as possible.

#2 ·
CAJUN_YJ said:
Ok, I'm currently running 32x11.50x15 tires on the stock alum. rims. I also noticed that there is a alum spacer ring behind the rim to help clearance :( I am getting ready to buy new rims and tires and do not want these tires to rub my springs like the old tires do when I turn. Does anyone know what backspacing on the rim I should use to keep this from happening? The old rims are suppost to be 3.5". I want them as close to the fenderwall as possible.
I also have the same size tires and rims, to keep the tires from hittinng the springs you can adjust the turning radius stop bolts outwards which cuts your turning radius a little. At least until you get your new rims.

The way you could probably figure what backspacing you need would be to measure your present backspacing on the rims you are running, (from the center of the rim to the outside edge of the rim, I believe this is the proper way.) Then figure how much you want your new rims to come out and subtract that from the stock backspacing.

Like I said I think this is how you would figure it out. I need to figure out what backspacing to use also. I was going to get some spacers for my stock rims but I heard these arent really meant for wheeling. Right now my tires are pretty much even with my fenders. i have a set of Jeep Canyon rims. So I would think that anything more than the stock backspacing is going to get your tires sticking out past your flares. I think in my state you can have 3"-4" past the fender. You may want to check on this. All I know is I dont want my Jeep looking like one of those lowriders with the low profile donut tires stick out a foot on each side. That cant be real good for the bearings and steering I would think.

#3 ·
i would go with anything between 3.75" to 4.5" of backspacing.

Currently I'm running 285/75R16 (32.5x11.5) and I have 4.5" of backspacing. It rubs only slightly in one direction. And that is with my steerwheel non centered. So it may not rub at all once i fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.