Wheel shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel shimmy

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 04-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wheel shimmy

Hello Everyone,
I had a thread on here a while back about the 4wd not disengaging and the wheel shaking on me on corners. Found that the brittle air lines running to the 4wd were broken so one I replaced the hoses the 4wd appeard to go off the dash board and now when I mash the gas and take off the back 2 are the only ones throwing mud. So that's good but the bad news is that now I still have a little shimmy when I turn, even if I am only going 15 to 25 mph. It's doesn't bother or really get violent but I want to be sure she is road worthy. Don't want to get going 65 and find out she's gonna shake to pieces. BTW going strait there is no problems at all and actualy while turning there isn't really a shake. It's the time from the turn back to strait position that I feel it chugging back to center.

Any ideas what that could be???

The money pit strikes again.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
farmboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check the U joints on the drive shafts .. sounds like one of them is binding up
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Could be wheel bearings too...I had something very similar and it wound up being wheel bearings on one side. Can you feel the shimmy really strong in your brakes (thru the pedal) if you're braking while turning, like slowing down to make a 90 degree turn off of a highway or something? If so I'd say check those bearings ASAP.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So what is the best way to check the U joints and bearings. If I get in there and shake it or something can I tell if they are funked up?

This is the first vehicle I have had that I have been able to work on things like this so I am a newbie in the repaird dept. I'll admit it. Although since I have had the "The Heep" as I affectionately call it. I have replaced tons of stuff and am learning everytime I open the hood.

Thanks again for the help.
Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
farmboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.