Wheel offset - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel offset

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
wafarmtrk
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wheel offset

Hey all just a quick question that I think I know one answer to but looking for more information. I have a 93 YJ and just got a great deal on some TJ wheels. Got the tires all switched over and found that they rub on the spring when turning lock to lock. It is not to bad but enough to notice. Apparently the offset is different with the TJ and YJ wheels. I know I can put spacers on to correct the problem but not sure I want to widen the stance that much as the smallest I have found is 1 inch. Does anybody have any other suggestion?

wafarmtrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Add washers to your turn stops so the tire doesn't hit the spring.
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have run tj rims with no trouble, the moabs. i have heard a bunch you need to add a washer like posted above though
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I put different offset wheels on my YJ I just added a couple washers to the turn stops. You will not notice the slight loss in turn radius, but you will notice the lack of rubbing on the springs.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
wafarmtrk
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guy, now let me show my ignorance. Where are the turn stops? I know it sounds dumb but hey.
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafarmtrk
Thanks guy, now let me show my ignorance. Where are the turn stops? I know it sounds dumb but hey.
Down on the knuckles I think. I know how to fix the problem but never have. Ha
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Front side of the knuckles, can't remember the exact size but it looks like a stud sticking out. Spray the heck outta them with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench before you try to loosen them.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the steering knuckle (where the wheel mounts and the brakes hook up) You will see a little bolt stickin out that has a corresponding flat spot on the hub that turns back an forth. That is the part to move out. It's like a 1/4 bolt head or 5/16, I think. It's small looking
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The real question would be what was the old back spacing and what is the new back spacing? Get spacers that match the difference or change the turning stops as described above. I personally hate spacers but they serve their purpose sometimes.
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
wafarmtrk
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, thanks for all the great information. Found the stops and put two washers on each one and took care of the problem. Thanks again!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.