whats wrong with my jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > whats wrong with my jeep

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
SWAMPED
1994 YJ Wrangler 

whats wrong with my jeep

alright im tired of my jeep running stupid . i put a new crankshaft sensor in it and it still surges and acts weak sometimes. they say you can break or file down the tab on the distributor to advance/retard the timing yourself. is that a bad idea or not? any suggestions on what else to do to make it run smoother?? thanks in advance

SWAMPED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
grenMEG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem and yea i dont' know about filing down the teeth on you dist.
I would check all wires make sure that you firing order is right. Then i would ask myslef is the ditributor stabbed in wrong?Thats what was wrong with mine, and i never took it back to 4wheel parts warehouse for installs, nor am i going to let anyone work on my Jeep for me. Check for air leaks. Do have a better description of what your jeep is doing?
What RPM does it idle at?
When do you start loosing power?
What kind of air intake do you have?
Did you replace the Dist./Spark plug wires/Spark Plugs?recently
Did you replace the clutch?recently
I am trying to help but i am no mechanic.
grenMEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
SWAMPED
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well i got a screamin demon high performance coil, accel super tune up kit (8mm wires, performance plugs, cap, rotor). it looses power when i try and down shift to pass or pull out somewhere it just kinda takes a minute for it to get its full power. i have the stock air tube with a kn cone filter. it idles at like 750 or 800 rpms. its an automatic. we swapped from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder motor and tranny......maybe we left somethin out.
Unread 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
mdo817
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree grenmeg about dist. stabbed wrong. When I did my 4.0 swap, I put the distributor in 1 tooth off and it messed with me for a couple of days. It would idle smooth and run out good to about 2000-2500 rpms then go to crap. Look at your book and set the engine TDC the rotor will not point directly at #1, it's a little one side or the other, I can't remember and my book is in the shop. Hope this helps.
1992 YJ, Project In Work,Frame Off Done, Repainted, Herculined Interior, Back on the road.Self Fab'd front/rear bumpers & tire carrie,MM SE9500,lot's of Susp. 1" BDL,BrandonYJ Boomerangs, 33X10.5 BFG M/T, 4.0 AX-15,8.8 LSD,4.10 Gears, ARB Up Front,P/S Rocker Knockers with slider. 90 YJ now turned into a parts Jeep.
2006 WK 4X4, Wifes Ride (Grandkid hauler)
1995 YJ,4.0, AX-15, Bone Stock Wifes Toy
mdo817 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
SWAMPED
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i appreciate that....ill check that out....does it matter what side of the #1 wire it points to??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.