whats slapping under my jeep after my lift install??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > whats slapping under my jeep after my lift install???

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
smogmatt

whats slapping under my jeep after my lift install???

Ok so I finished my 2.5 RE standard lift I installed everything, axle shims, t-case lowering kit.

I have had it for a couple of weeks

I love it....but when I go over bumps on the road with any speed it feels like the transfercase or tranny is slapping up against the body. I checked out the under side. I cant see anywhere its hitting. I did notice I have only got about an inch space between the t-case and the driveshaft. so I think the t-case and driveshaft are slamming next to each other.

I don't have any touble with vibes at all. just this.

I guess my question is is this normal? should I remove the t-case lowering kit and/or the axle shims? Or what else could I do?

TIA guys

smogmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
smogmatt

oh its a 4 banger stick shift
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Could be a tranny mount or loose exhaust.
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #4
smogmatt

just replaced the muffler and cat so thats solid.

I will check the trannie mount....... so could it be the driveshaft slamming in to the transfercase?

maybe I will uninstall the t-case lowering kit and see what I get
Unread 06-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
surfzup2k

I would bet it is the slip yoke sliding all the way onto the output shaft of the t-case. I would take the spacers in the skid pan out for sure. All that holds that shaft pulled out wards is a clip. If the skip yoke slams it hard enough, that clip will break and everything in your t-case will be mis-aligned.
2" hd shackles
locked 8.8 Rearend
4.56's
cut fender flares
pics... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289103901
[COLOR=white]White Jeep Club Member #112[/COLOR]
surfzup2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
smogmatt

should I also take off the rear axle shims?? or will removing the lowering kit be enough?

thanks
Unread 06-13-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Leave the shims. Take off the lowering kit and see if you have any vibes. Did the kit come with the shims and the transfer case lowering kit?
Unread 06-13-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
BIG KEV

Does that suspension kit come with millitary wrap springs? If it does and you didn't upgrade your shackels it could be your springs slapping against your frame!
KORE4x4CUSTOMS.com
BIG KEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
smogmatt

the kit did come with the shims and t-case lowering kit (1") I never drove the jeep w/out the shims and lowering kit. I put everything on all at once. I guess I should have gone for a test ride before huh?

the kit did come with miltary wrapped springs, they didn't recommend to upgrade the shackles....thats still on the list of to-dos. the slapping feels more like its right under the driveline. I'll take off the lowering kit and if I still have problems I'll have to look into that.
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #10
hmk_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogmatt
the kit did come with the shims and t-case lowering kit (1") I never drove the jeep w/out the shims and lowering kit. I put everything on all at once. I guess I should have gone for a test ride before huh?

the kit did come with miltary wrapped springs, they didn't recommend to upgrade the shackles....thats still on the list of to-dos. the slapping feels more like its right under the driveline. I'll take off the lowering kit and if I still have problems I'll have to look into that.
Tell me how it goes...

I just got mine on this past weekend, and I too.. have a 'clanking' sound when it flexes..

however, with the door off, and no top.. i was able to pick up the sound location..

with the stock 'hitch' on my 89yj.. the wrap on the new spring (rear passenger side) was hitting the hitch connection to the frame..

i lost 3/4" of rear shackle movement... at least this is my issue anyways, as i can see fresh skid marks on the metal...

flex test, and and possible hitch removal tonight
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #11
frank_yj

hey smogmatt... our yj had a simular issue... the military wraps were banging on the aftermarket rear bumber... all i did was break out the grinder and grinded the area it was hitting...

HTH

Wife's = 93 sahara 3" body, 3.5 BDS, 33x12.5 super swamper radials, safari snorkel, rhino liner, steps, body armor.
Me = 1980 CJ5 350/350/300/44 fr/14 bolt rear both locked/38" swampers
frank_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #12
BIG KEV

I was right! If they are bds you can cut the wrap off untill you get some lift shackels, then when you do just take those two springs to the shop where you bought the lift and tell them that you want a new set. Or at least thats what i did.(I love bds and there warranty)
KORE4x4CUSTOMS.com
BIG KEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.