What's a good suspension lift for a '95 YJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's a good suspension lift for a '95 YJ?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 11-30-2001, 04:14 AM   #16
Jeep Chic

Quote:
Originally posted by osburn:
But ignore the comment you quoted. On any lift 4" and below you can drop the tcase.
If you read my post you will see that I said you MAY have to do an SYE. Not have to. I also mentioned that I have seen many Jeeps with more than a mild lift that did not do the SYE and ended up having major breakage due to not having an SYE.
I was only trying to help, and give advice. Telling him to ignore my quote was not a nice thing to do. How would you feel if you knew nothing about lifting a Jeep, and broke a drive shaft because no one told you about an SYE? I was only trying to cover all the bases.
You said on ANY lift 4" and under you can drop the t-case. I believe this to be inaccurate, as a Body Lift, will not allow you to just drop the t-case.. I know because I just did a BL to fit larger tires under my 95YJ, and ran into all sorts of things that I had to change, including adding an SYE, pitman arms, lifting the radiator, and a whole slew of other things, that , you, apparently, did not think of when you stated that ANY, I repeat ANY lift under 4", you can simply drop the t-case. I am a female, but I can wheel and talk tech with the "guys" as well as, and most of the time, better than they can.

Now, bring on the flames, I have on my fire retardent suit.

Jeep Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2001, 09:55 AM   #17
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm taking the personal issues private.

However, I still contend that any lift 4" or under does not need an SYE. Regardless of a body lift.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2001, 11:37 AM   #18
Newfie

Quote:
Originally posted by osburn:
However, I still contend that any lift 4" or under does not need an SYE. Regardless of a body lift.
No question about that Matt. Only reason a body lift would POSSIBLY need an SYE is if it was a 3" (or higher ) WITH an 1" - 1.5" x-fer case lowering kit already installed (or vice-versa) and the 4WD shifter was too short, but I think most of the 3" bl kits include an extension to allow for that... An SYE and CV d-shafts are great mods, but when $$$ are short (tell me again why I got married, bought a house and had kids??? ), ya make do with what ya got...
Unread 11-30-2001, 12:02 PM   #19
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, Jeep Chic has no means of contacting her privately. No email, ya can't even send private messages via this forum. So I gotta deal with this here.

Jeep Chic,
I have taken special care to not get personal and simply reply to some of the remarks in your post. Please take special care not to read in some sort of attitude or feeling.

The fellow quoted that line of yours because it raised an eyebrow. I'm sure he'd never heard it before and neither have I. I honestly figured you'd come back with some sort of correction to the language of the statement. Because it was, quite frankly, incorrect.

You can drop the tcase on any 4" or below lift. And in some cases, you can use a tcase drop on an SOA! You never see me recommend it, but I know it can be done.

What this all boils down to is, you told the guy Any kind of lift over 2.5" and you may run into having to do an SYE.(slip yoke eliminator)." and that's just plain not acurate in my opinion. So I told him to ignore the statement. It was not personal. But, I will try to find a gentler way to word my disagreement in the future. It truely is not my intent to hurt people's feelings. Well, not until they insult me cause I disagree. Then sometimes, I kinda like to give them grief. But really, it's not my thing.

Hey, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. But nothing you've posted so far, nor anything I've ever heard or seen to date would indicate so. I've been proven wrong many times before. Big deal, it happens. Ya can't know everything. Now if you know of a case where a tcase drop couldn't be used on some 4" suspension package, share it. The example you gave was not it. Yeah the shifters get lowered, but it still can be used.

I know you're just trying to help. As am I. Maybe the way I write doesn't suit you. Sorry. But sometimes I just don't know how to tiptoe around people's feelings while at the same time tell them I don't agree. If I don't agree with you, don't take it personal.

Now to put some value back into our conversation for the spectators here, let address a few of your statements.

"I have seen many Jeeps with more than a mild lift that did not do the SYE and ended up having major breakage due to not having an SYE."

Ok, what's more than a mild lift? Is that what we're talking about here? In every case that I have seen, the failure of a slip yoke (only on SOAs and one RE 4.5"), it is simply the driveshaft falls out. Now I know more damage can and does happen to an slip yoke. But generally it has nothing to do with the amount of lift. So in all my wheeling, I have never seen "major breakage due to not having an SYE.". You must simply get out more than I do and do harder trails with guys that don't set their Jeeps up properly is all I can surmise from that statement.

You say adding a body lift meant you "ran into all sorts of things that I had to change, including adding an SYE, pitman arms, lifting the radiator, and a whole slew of other things,". Out of all of that you mentioned (excluding the "whole slew of other things,"), the radiator change is the only thing that resulted from the body lift. And this thread isn't about body lifts.

You also said, "How would you feel if you knew nothing about lifting a Jeep, and broke a drive shaft because no one told you about an SYE? I was only trying to cover all the bases." Well sure, no doubt running an SYE is more reliable and stronger than running the standard NP231 output. But if you're covering all the bases, tell him to run an Atlas cause the 231 is a chain driven, cast aluminum, light duty transfer case. But does he need an Atlas to run more than 2.5" of lift?
Unread 12-01-2001, 09:48 AM   #20
Brendan

Osburn, how did you get the money to do all your mods. I you must have every doodad they make for jeeps. How long have you been building your jeep? I'm 17, I work 25 hrs a week just to make money for insurance I won't be able to get that 2.5" lift I want until CHristmas. How long do you wait between getting new mods?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 11:13 AM   #21
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm 42 years old. I would think my resources are at least marginally better than a youngster like yourself!

How long I wait between mods depends on resources, need/want and what kinda trail is planned. When you plan a long trip like the Rubicon or Dusy, everybody just seems to be scrambling for something they just can't do without. When going to the Dusy for instance, none of my buddies with onboard welders were going. Well that's a long hardcore ride and I didn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and none of us have a welder, so I bought one.

Believe me, there's still so many things I'd still like to put into this Jeep. It's incredible how much you can just keep improving these things. I'm really in a quandry about an engine swap. I'd love the power of a V8. But I can't imagine an engine more reliable then the 4.0. I want performance, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability getting it. The 5.9 liter was high on my list until some experts informed me of a few quirks with that engine. There's other stuff I "need" too! Like corner guards. Can ya believe after all I've done to this thing I don't have corner guards? I just haven't dinged up my corners is all. I want bigger tires now. My 35s don't get them big 60s off the ground much. I want Kilby's onboard air system. I have a good one, but his is the best. I like buying the best. And get this, my wife encourages this. Go figure!

I bought the Jeep new in Sept of 94. A Sahara cause, it's the best. I've basically built it a few times over. I've been through 3.5", 4", SOA w/stock springs, SOA w/custom springs. I had my stock axles loaded with 4.10s and ARBs and the tcase with the MIT SYE.

Last year I did kinda get crazy and dumped a whopping amount of cash into this Jeep. I basically bought a brand new drivetrain. Custom axles from Dynatrac, a new NV4500 and Atlas from Advanced. That stuff is not by any means cheap, but it's the best. Add into that custom springs, new tires and rims.

If I had just bought the Jeep, then put the setup I have now in it, just think how much money I would have saved! I don't feel bad about the previous investments though because my less fortunate friends and my son happily take my leftovers. My son has a pretty well setup Jeep as a result. Matter of fact, I'd say that for many here, he probably has a pretty envious setup. His Jeep is running the 4.0,AX15,NP231 w/SYE, Terra 4:1 and stock axles with 4.10s and ARBs. He's like 70:1 which ain't bad at all. He's been telling me my winch needs replacing. I think he's pulling my leg though!

Hey, I'm honestly glad I didn't get into this Jeep thing till I got older. Every resource I had went into raising kids. Unless you have a family, you can't imagine how expensive it is. There's no way I could have afforded to even make the trips, much less afford the modifications it takes to rockcrawl.

All I can suggest is start a savings plan and be patient. Don't buy crap cause it doesn't save you any money when you have to buy it again.
Unread 12-01-2001, 12:37 PM   #22
bigblueyj

hey matt didnt say sometime ago that your sons is also soa if so got any pics ?
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 12:43 PM   #23
I-4

Quote:
All I can suggest is start a savings plan and be patient. Don't buy crap cause it doesn't save you any money when you have to buy it again.
very well put,i'm doing the savings routine.can't decide on soa or the re 4.5.the nice thing is i can still play even while dreaming about a better jeep.i'm just gonna do it a piece at a time.
Unread 12-01-2001, 06:52 PM   #24
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblueyj:
hey matt didnt say sometime ago that your sons is also soa if so got any pics ?
Yeah, his is SOA too. I posted a link to a recent wheeling trip we were on together in the General Discussions topic. Here's the thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/cgi/ultimat...c&f=2&t=000504

If you look further down in the thread, someone posted one of the pics for that trip asking if that was me. It is me, and in the background, that's my son's red and gray primer YJ in the background. If you follow the link at the top of the thread, there's some better pics of his Jeep.
Unread 12-01-2001, 09:23 PM   #25
bigblueyj

thanks Matt is he running 33's ?and if so do you or him have any pic on level ground ?
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 10:52 PM   #26
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like Jeep heaven !! There are no trails like that around here. I'll have to get out to CA someday... I have so much to learn, so much to spend, I love my jeep and it will never die, it just gets bigger badder and more expensive.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 10:54 PM   #27
bob91yj

Oh yeah, we love it when Matt gets the urge for new stuff. Like he said, his son Ricky's Jeep is about as built as can be for stock axles, and I've got his old nerfs on my rig. They sure saved my rockers on the Rubicon. Thanks Matt, oh and them sure are some peewwny tires you got on Greengo.
Unread 12-02-2001, 12:47 AM   #28
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblueyj:
thanks Matt is he running 33's ?and if so do you or him have any pic on level ground ?
Um yeah, here's his Jeep on level ground. These photos were obviously taken before the primer gray mod was done. Now you can see why. Sorry, couldn't dig any up with the 33s on level ground. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&a=8495199&f=0
Unread 12-02-2001, 12:51 AM   #29
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by AtRoPiNe:
That looks like Jeep heaven !! There are no trails like that around here. I'll have to get out to CA someday... I have so much to learn, so much to spend, I love my jeep and it will never die, it just gets bigger badder and more expensive.
That's just one of our many great wheeling spots we have here. It's a very fun terrain there because even if you lay the Jeep over, it rarely does any real damage. This is the same location the Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari is held. That event gets in at least one of the 4x4 rags every year. I was even pictured once in one of JP Mags coverage. It's the issue with a yellow CJ7 on the cover. The yellow CJ7 is one of the guys that wheels with Bob and I.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.