What's a good suspension lift for a '95 YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's a good suspension lift for a '95 YJ?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-26-2001, 01:24 PM   #1
bobznew

What's a good suspension lift for a '95 YJ?

Hello all! I'm new to the Jeep world; just purchased a '95 YJ. I'm looking to put a suspension lift on it, about 3-4" probably. I was wandering if anyone could give me the names of some good suspension lifts that I might look into getting. Thanx much, and good wheelin'.

Unread 11-26-2001, 07:04 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can't lose with the RE Extreme Duty 4.5" lift.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2001, 07:05 PM   #3
Newfie

Superlift, ProComp, Old Man Emu, Rubicon Express, BDS... The list goes on and on...
Unread 11-26-2001, 07:26 PM   #4
CR Perry

After looking at all the available YJ lifts I determined that the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty was the most bang for the buck without going SOA. I'm very happy with it.
Unread 11-26-2001, 09:56 PM   #5
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Pro Comp good?!? That's got to be one of the worst liked lifts for YJ's. I'd go RE or else piece together your own "kit" with some custom made leafs and other odds and ends. Requires more work on your part though. RE's extreme Duty is a good choice though. Don't get the standard duty since it's just a Pro-Comp and rides just as hard.
Unread 11-27-2001, 02:01 AM   #6
runovru

I've driven several yj's with different kits on them and Currie has the best springs currently availabe. Use in conjunction with the Pro Comp Box Kit, pitman arm, and good shocks such as rancho 9000s, edelbrock, or bilstein 5100s, and you've probably got the best riding kit out there at 4". Plus if you want to bigger and badder later they have add-a-leaves available that provide an additional 1" lift while only stiffening the spring rate apx 15%.
runovru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2001, 04:22 AM   #7
Jeep Chic

Any kind of lift over 2.5" and you may run into having to do an SYE.(slip yoke eliminator) and that can get very costly. I went with the BDS lift and a shackle lift and am very happy with it. I got a total of 4" of lift with this combo, and all I had to do was drop the Transfer Case an inch, the BDS comes with the drop kit too. I have seen way to many Jeeps with more than a mild lift break drive shafts because of not doing the SYE and the drive angle was just too extreme. If you want to do it right, call the # I posted on your other post and they will be more than happy to help you out.
Jeep Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2001, 04:42 AM   #8
Newfie

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffy:
Pro Comp good?!? That's got to be one of the worst liked lifts for YJ's. I'd go RE or else piece together your own "kit" with some custom made leafs and other odds and ends. Requires more work on your part though. RE's extreme Duty is a good choice though. Don't get the standard duty since it's just a Pro-Comp and rides just as hard.
Know several guys with 4Lts & winches, running ProComp 4" lifts and they are quite happy with it now that they have opened up the packs a little. They have not had issues with sagging like a lot of other lifts I've seen either...
Unread 11-27-2001, 06:21 AM   #9
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im happy with my Rough Country lift. It rides smooth, little bouncing and it was $389 with everything (transfer case drop, brake line extensions, pitman arm)
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2001, 12:19 PM   #10
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a Rough Country 3" lift a few months ago and I love it!! The only thing the kit is missing is new bolts for the springs. My bolts were stuck in the metal sleeves and had to be torched out. For the price its a really good deal.
Unread 11-27-2001, 01:23 PM   #11
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Newfie:
Know several guys with 4Lts & winches, running ProComp 4" lifts and they are quite happy with it now that they have opened up the packs a little. They have not had issues with sagging like a lot of other lifts I've seen either...
I agree Newfie. When I was running production kits, Procomp was the only spring that would hold my heavy Jeep up.
Unread 11-28-2001, 02:58 PM   #12
Brendan

"Pro Comp good?!? That's got to be one of the worst liked lifts for YJ's. I'd go RE"

I heard that the regular RE lifts use ProComp springs, and all the rest are RE components. It might have been just a rumor. I heard it when I started asking around about the 2.5" RE lift.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2001, 06:04 PM   #13
geepYJ95

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeep Chic:
Any kind of lift over 2.5" and you may run into having to do an SYE.(slip yoke eliminator) .
what is a "slip yoke eliminator"? and did anyone have this problem?
[B]Green Jeep Club Member #14[/B]

'95 YJ Sahara Edition, green w/ tan hard and soft tops, Flowmaster 40 series, New cat, 2 10"eclipse subs, pioneer cd deck, and Xtant A series 6001 amp.
geepYJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2001, 07:13 PM   #14
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It moves the slip in your rear driveshaft from the tcase, to the driveshaft. If you look under your Jeep at your rear driveshaft, you'll see it can slide in and out of your tcase. Not an ideal setup.

But ignore the comment you quoted. On any lift 4" and below you can drop the tcase.
Unread 11-29-2001, 08:53 PM   #15
jeeping18

last winter i installed the pro comp 2.5 inch lift on my 91 yj and it was very complete and pretty easy ( only problem was the rusted bolts ) the lift is good but extremly rough on the road and stiff off-road, shackles and disconects are recomended.
-2.5 INCH PRO-COMP LIFT
-31X10.50 PRO-COMP MUD'S
-15X8 EAGLE ALLOYS
-3:73 gears
also a 2000 TJ
jeeping18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.