Whats the going price for rebuilding a tranny? Or... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whats the going price for rebuilding a tranny? Or...

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
wadefadely

Whats the going price for rebuilding a tranny? Or...

would it be cheaper to buy one in a junkyard. The syncros are going in mine I think and I need to get out of it as cheap as I can. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

wadefadely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
dcafaro

definitely cheaper to buy a used one, but you'll eventually need to cross the same bridge. I was quoted 1100.00 removed rebuilt and reinstalled. I hear if you have the time that it is not too dificult to reuild a tranny. I guess depends on your mechanical level.
dcafaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
grandman97
Web Wheeler

got the tranny in my zj (42re) rebuilt in october... right about 1k... it would have been cheaper to get one outta the junkyard but i had no time and needed the thing to get back on the road ASAP... if u have the time and materials needed to do the swap yourself it will be cheaper
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
boatingncst8fan

I wouldn't suggest a salvaged AX-5 because you might be buying a problem. I just bought my rebuilt AX-5 off Ebay from a company named Man-Trans out of Talahassee, FL. I paid $729 which includes $80 shipping the core BACK to them and it has a 1 Year/Unlimited Mileage warranty. If it weren't for the stupid clutch master cylinder acting up, I would've been done in 8-9 hours and I've never attempted to pull a tranny out of a vehicle and I did this one all by myself. It helped that a I had a shop lift and air tools.
Unread 02-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I seconded www.mantrans.com bought my ax15 of them on ebay $685.00 and free shipping to me and $80.00 to ship the core back to them. I wish I would have found them sooner. I drove my Renegade for about 4 months with no 3rd gear.

Neill
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What part of alabama you in? I am getting ready to rebuild the AX15 in my 93. I called about every junkyard in north alabama looking for a good used one first. They were everywhere from $800-$1000, for used ones. Some of them had well over 100k on them! I got a rebuild kit from zumbrota bearing and gear on ebay (and a couple other parts) The rebuild kit was about $170. I am hopeing to get started soon. Next warm weekend I get I am pulling it apart.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
DrlSgt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Trans Rebuild cost

It cost me $1758.00 to have the AX5 rebuilt, the transfer case resealed, and the clutch replaced. Man that really did hurt. REAL BAD! It lasted for 30 days and the output shaft started shedding teeth. I took it back and they fixed it but not without *****in.

DrlSgt
DrlSgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
hmmhoyhoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with boatingncst8fan, go to a junkyard and get another and throw it in. Tranny swaps are really easy and only take a hard days work
37" BFG AT's

02 WJ Overland
hmmhoyhoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
wadefadely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep
What part of alabama you in? I am getting ready to rebuild the AX15 in my 93. I called about every junkyard in north alabama looking for a good used one first. They were everywhere from $800-$1000, for used ones. Some of them had well over 100k on them! I got a rebuild kit from zumbrota bearing and gear on ebay (and a couple other parts) The rebuild kit was about $170. I am hopeing to get started soon. Next warm weekend I get I am pulling it apart.
I am in Gadsden N.E. Al. I just dont know what to do
wadefadely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
pyro9862

Like someone already said the junkyard is a gamble make sure you get a warrenty. Junkyards around here want $800 for any wrangler transmission and will not warrenty them. Your yards may be more sane.

You can rebuild it yourself. I would recommend getting some kind of manual or someone who knows what they're doing. If this is your daily driver I would get another tranny with bad syncros to rebuild so you can take your time doing it.

I don't think you even have to take the bellhouseing down to change the tranny. I did it in a CJ saturday it took three of us about three hours to do and that was with repairing the shifter on the transfer case and a bearing on the tranny.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also got a Mantrans.com tranny when my AX-5 went belly-up. It cost around $750 or so shipped with a warranty. My first one had a problem so they sent out a new one to me. I would go with them again.
1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
SeattleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
ltmke11
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had mine rebuilt for just under a grand about 6 months ago.
ltmke11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
Jeepfan Jeff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ManTrans for sure I put in a rebuilt ax-15 in sept along with a new Luk gold pro clutch, slave and master , pilot bearing, resurfaced the flywheel even put in new u-joints and and rear output shaft seal. I left no stone unturned, had some difficulties shifting so I called tech support, they sent me a new shift tower grommet, said that might be the problem, but it didn't help. I'll call again, they told me they had another with my name on it.
weber 551-38
nutered and juiced
Ramsey Pat. 9500
(5)33x12.50x15 wildcats
eagle alloys 058
Missouri Offraod Outfitters over the top axle truss
M.O.O. rock bruiser diff cover
bushwacker cut-out flairs
shrockworks rock sliders
sorry no pics of the Schrocks & Bushies yet(but soon)

personal garb.
[URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/]http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/[/URL]
Jeepfan Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefadely
I am in Gadsden N.E. Al. I just dont know what to do

Your not far from me. I am in cullman. You are welcome to come down and watch and/or help me rebuild mine. That way you can see how hard it is. Good luck with finding a good one in the junk yards. I gave up on that. I would either rebuild the one you have or buy a rebuilt one. I came real close to buying one from man-trans on ebay like everyone else talks about. But I figured I could save a little money by rebuilding mine. I am also converting to the external slave cylinder at the same time. I also found a Jeep service manual for the AX15 on ebay, so that will hopefully help me out. Just waiting for the next warm weekend.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.