what's the easiest way to tell if your front axle is still locked up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what's the easiest way to tell if your front axle is still locked up?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 01-21-2002, 07:25 PM   #1
iamthemellowman

what's the easiest way to tell if your front axle is still locked up?

I plan on jacking up one tire with the engine off and transfer case shifter in 4wd(after making sure there is no reserve vacuum).. and seeing if i'm able to freely rotate the tire. I imagine there might be an easier alternative.. if so any help would be a great help.

oh and if it is stuck, what are the steps to unstick it?

Unread 01-21-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by iamthemellowman:
oh and if it is stuck, what are the steps to unstick it?
Get rid of it... those things are prone to failure. Replace it with a Posi-lok or defeat it all together by installing 1-piece shafts.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2002, 09:21 PM   #3
YJ boy

Well mellow you can go the post I put up on 01-20-2002 and see how to fix your problem the topic is "Vacuum lines" by YJBOY good luck. but if you really want to check it with out jacking it up you can pull your rear drive shaft off and try it then ??
YJ boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 06:41 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

On YJ's the easiest way to see if the front diff is locked in is to grab the drive shaft and attempt to rotate it in any direction. If it spins, its not locked up.

Make sure that your rig is properly parked when you do this. If the front of your rig is in the air, the drivers side tire might spin with the driveshaft if its locked in.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.