whats the best way to get more power out of a 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > whats the best way to get more power out of a 4.0

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Goobersbro

whats the best way to get more power out of a 4.0

okay excluding the throttle body spacer air intake and exhaust what other under 200 dollar mods can i make to increase power out of my 4.0

Unread 12-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good tune up, air filter etc.

And loose weight. Carrying all that extra stuff, hi-lifts, winches, 200lb's of tools, really impact daily driving. Loosing weight is almost the same as adding HP, and it's cheaper.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

swap the motor out... LOL

mine is a wimp with the 3spd auto. I have tried several things but still wimpy.. Its a Jeep thing
Unread 12-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Champion
1995 YJ Wrangler 

put in a crank shaft from a 4.2 (258). it will give you 60 hp. makes it a 4.5L stroker
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Change the cam out for a high performance one. Right around $200 for a Compition cam and lifters.
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You could try an electric fan.
Easily under $200 in cost.
Will not yield a mess of power, but will give a bit. Perhaps 10-15%(5 to 15 hp).
Also yields some gas saving. Again about 10-15%(1.5 to 3 mpg).
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
1995_4.5L Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
put in a crank shaft from a 4.2 (258). it will give you 60 hp. makes it a 4.5L stroker
crank and rods from the 4.2 + the pistons from a 4.0 = 4.5L
Get a bored throttle body from ebay! Bored to 63mm all the way through, Your stock 4.0L throttle body necks down to 55mm http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...Q5fAccessories

ax-15 trans
4" lift 33" tires
1995_4.5L Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ttt ttt ttt ttt
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
Goobersbro

what the crap this is a post of mine back in my lad days haha
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
You could try an electric fan.
Easily under $200 in cost.
Will not yield a mess of power, but will give a bit. Perhaps 10-15%(5 to 15 hp).
Also yields some gas saving. Again about 10-15%(1.5 to 3 mpg).
Isn't this just a BIT ambitious? What do you all think? Seems like an easy mod HOWEVER, I like the reliability of a clutch fan (plus it sounds good in first gear lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
what the crap this is a post of mine back in my lad days haha
Yup, newbie here and just excited about making a little more HP and this seems like a good thread. I've done some searches and unfortunately, it seems like the only "no compromise" power increase is a supercharger (of course that requires premium fuel and it does add weight and compromise reliability some due to risk of detonation....so it's not ultimately "no compromise" but seems to be the most desirable alternative barring cost). Also it seems they are too new to get a shot at finding a nice used one ....arghhh. I wish the FIPK was a good mod but it seems too controversial and I doubt you really get the advertised 12 HP increase, not to mention poorer filtration. I do wonder about the cowl intake homemade mod though ...but again, some say the engine doesn't flow enough air itself to take advantage of a better intake design. Here's the catch though, I would imagine a cowl intake really would draw in cooler air ...which makes at least some difference, and the location's pretty good concerning water intake (hell I'm not going to be fording 4ft deep streams anyway).

Arrghh ...so who's done what and how did it work out for you? I want to do something to up the HP but not sure what. Doubt I'd want to do cam because that compromises reliability some and off idle torque. From what they say heads flow pretty well stock and can't be improved very significantly (my rig has 38K miles so I really don't want to pop a valvecover anyway). Barring an aftermarket head that's like 2K LOL yeah right. Rather fab up a homemade SC or turbo kit than do that.

Bottom line, I'd like to somehow see ~210 HP or so with simple bolt on's that won't negatively affect reliability/MPG/etc ....suggestions? Maybe underdrive pulleys and an electric fan, lose the rear seat most of the time and maybe even the spare (for street driving anyway) and see how it feels? I wish the FIPK was a good mod because it's so easy but I don't want to risk getting mud/dirt in the system and it's not worth it for ~5 HP at RPM's I rarely drive at for $250+ ...ok newbie will shut up now but someone please chime in lol.
Unread 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
AO1
1985 CJ7 

Get more power by adding stick-on hood vents from auto zone, everyone swears by them in Va
AO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
TJunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nitrous!
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

One important question is.... Do you want horsepower, or do you want torque? They are not the same.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaremont View Post
One important question is.... Do you want horsepower, or do you want torque? They are not the same.
Actually horsepower is an equation of torque and RPM. LOL didn't you know you were about to open a big can of worms with that statement? Honestly I want BOTH, and that is why an FIPK that would actually deliver as advertised WOULD be nice ...but from what I've read in here (esp the FAQ on cold air intakes) sounds like it's not worth it (unless a homemade cowl setup has been dyno proven to be worthwhile ..doubtful). Many mods increase both, like headers and increased lift rocker arms, cam/head upgrades that aren't too wild (not so high on duration and lift, combustion chamber size, etc). Underdrive pulleys are a compromise to cooling/charging systems at low RPM and don't actually increase HP/TQ but allow more of both to make it to the wheels. Also that's why I say a supercharger is kind of a no compromise solution ....more low end and more top end (esp top end if centrifugal ...which is really what these 4.0's need ...more top end). I assume there is no roots style blower due to clearance issues. lol I'd love to swap my L67 from my Riviera into it (supercharged 3.8).

I know a decent bit about performance mods (have a built/supercharged LT1 Z28) but I'm a newbie to how much the little bolt on's help the 4.0 ...which is really what I'm getting at. So far it looks disappointing, anyone have data otherwise? No fuzzy SOTP data please lol....unless you know of a certain gear you used to take on a hill at a certain speed and now you no longer have to downshift due to a mod or something like that. Thanks, sorry to be so chatty, just trying to be thorough.

I feel like it's probably an issue I should give up on ... unless someone has a nice used SC setup they want to dump for about a grand lol. Probably more efficient to just remove weight from it and call it a day.
Unread 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I usually put flames on things I want to go faster.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.