What's the best shock mounting angles/locations, etc? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's the best shock mounting angles/locations, etc?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

What's the best shock mounting angles/locations, etc?

I am going to be adding Ford towers all around on my YJ and wanted to know how you think I should mount my towers? My understanding is that I want the shock to be as perpendicular to the axle travel as possible. To me this means tilted outward on both the front and the rear. I have seen the rear Ford towers and they are mounted outward. But I have not seen this done with the fronts. Any reason to this?

Also I am stretching each axle by 3" so the stock front tower location would not be ideal. That's why I am thinking of adding the Ford tower facing slightly forward.

So want are your ideas/opinions/advice for my tower locations?

Thanks

Tyler

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Joe Dillard did an exposť on shocks. Might wanna start there
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Over the last couple weeks, I helped do a rear outboard and we are in the middle of a front & rear outboard using Poly Performance towers.

I'll see if I can get some pics of our work to give you an idea of what I believe is a good solution.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Over the last couple weeks, I helped do a rear outboard and we are in the middle of a front & rear outboard using Poly Performance towers.

I'll see if I can get some pics of our work to give you an idea of what I believe is a good solution.
Thank you sir. I'm more interested in the front. Seeing as how there's already a lot of documented work on the rear.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry that these angles of the pics are probably not what you are looking for - but I'll see if I can get some of the rig we are currently working on tomorrow.

Unread 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So when are you going to come up here and work on my jeep, Joe?
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why did you french them into the frame? It it on full widths? I was thinking I could get by without doing that if I was full width.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
No kidding?! Me next!!

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I've been getting lessons lately from a true master (mrblaine) and I've got a long way to go to be able to replicate his work and mastery.

Its been fun lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Why did you french them into the frame? Is it on full widths? I was thinking I could get by without doing that if I was full width.
The Jeep LJ we were working on in the pics above, has a Currie RockJock HPD60 rear. Its the Savvy Test Mule Jeep that Mike (the current owner) was having us do some improvements to.

We just finished doing an AW4 auto swap, Rubicon 241 swap, autometer tranny temp guage, center console swap, tranny cooler, speedo correction, front & rear drive shaft swap, rear Fox shock outboard and shock tune. Plus, some stuff I'm probably forgetting.

This is what it looked like before we got started:
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the low quality cell phone pics - I forgot to bring my digital camera with me this morning.

The front axle is a Currie HP44. The Jeep is another LJ. The mounts are heavily messaged Poly Performance towers & lowers. I'll get better pics tomorrow.

IIRC, the front shocks are ~11 stroke Fox 2.0's w/reservoir. About 80% of the original tower was removed. The Poly tower piggybacks on the remainder of the original tower. Fenders are Metalcloak that we had to trim to make enough room for the towers.

Front driver side:

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

So you kept them in the same location? I was thinking of moving my mounting location on the front to a more forward tilted position. Seeing as how when a leaf spring compresses the axle moves forward. This way I would keep a more perpendicular shock to axle angle. I can understand the stock location on a coil spring setup. But was thinking of moving the towers for a leaf sprung application.

Any take on this hypothesis?

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Keeping them close to vertical is a good approach.

Mine are vertical when looking from the side, but if you're at the front of my Jeep, they are angled inwards at the tops since I still use the MORE upper hoops. My front axle is full width and my spring hangers are outboarded.

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. Thank you. Seems straight forward

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

While not directly related to your initial questions being that this is an LJ we are working on, I hope you don't mind that I post this info here in your thread. If you do mind, let me know & I'll gladly remove it.

Here's what we were working on yesterday. The rear axle is an geared/ARB'd Currie D44.

We removed the fuel tank, removed all the body bolts & raised the rear of the tub off the frame ~6" so that we could grind off the upper coil buckets & re-position them. Plasma'd the lower shock mounts off & ground the axle tubes smooth. Removed the axles, brakes etc because we are flipping the left & right side so that the ebrake system works better. Removed an old screwed up trackbar bracket then drilled & remounted a new Currie rear trackbar mount that swings it forward to give it better clearance. Sliced/frenched the frame for the rear tower and prepped it for welding. Drilled and tapped holes for new rear lower coil retainers.

After some prompting from mrblaine, Frank Currie was nice enough to provide a set of prototype coils for testing on this LJ Jeep. After we finished the front, I took it for a test drive. It drove fantastic.

The new shocks are Fox 2.0 resi's that are ~31" eye to eye, so we cycled the suspension a few times to give us the compressed & droop measurements we needed for when the lowers & towers got welded in.

As you can see - the shocks are not vertical, yet they are about as good as you can get with a coil system and other parameters we were working with.

Coil bucket repositioned. This is NOT my favorite thing to do. Its a bugger getting a grinder inside the framerails to grind the buckets off.

Bucket and tower welded in. BTW - we needed to use the taller poly towers in this application. The shorter ones are ~1/2" too short. What this means is extra cutting of the lower portion of the towers so that you don't have a huge tower hanging off the bottom of the frame which would look dorky.

To get a good clean "outboard" fit - we trimmed the inside edge of the lower control arm mount, then positioned it & burned it in.

Passenger side upper coil bucket repositioned:

Looking from under the tub.....driver side tower frenched & welded in:

The LJ we were working on:

Here's a couple pics of how the fronts turned out:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.