Whats the best aftermarket center console? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whats the best aftermarket center console?

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
If I find a used Tuffy, it will definitely replace my current center console but theyre just too expensive new. I have a VDP one and its nice and comfy but is pretty useless at securing anything
I did this, (got a tuffy used second hand) mine's the 10in wide, and that's too wide, I had to turn my seats and kinda finagle a bagel to get it to fit. It still get's caught up on the seats tho, and If I were to do it again, I would insist on the skinnier one. The only rust spots are on the cover to the radio area, as I think the paint just got rubbed off from use.

#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got the rampage Security console(kind of a tuffy knockoff) but.is 16g steel and seems durable. I got if after theifs broke my old besttop console and rain kept killing my stereo.
forumrunner_20130221_123901.jpg  

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck23ms View Post
not the best picture but i have a smittybilt stereo console. basically a copy of the tuffy console but only $100.
Like those seats and covers - what brand are those?

Some console content...I like the Tuffy, but it is really expensive. The ammo can option looks great. I was looking at the 6.5" wide version for my 95 YJ, as I only had about 6.5" between my seatbelts.
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
redneck23ms
1992 YJ Wrangler 

they are PRP daily driver model seats and the covers are cordura material
redneck23ms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Tofu77

I have this console and have never had a problem with it, very sturdy doesnt move at all, very secure. plenty of room in the console to store things and having the versatility of having the small cup holder/cooler that can be removed when your out in the trails is also nice.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/vdp-de...-yj-41517.html
Tofu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have one just like that ^^^ for sale now. $40 + shipping. It does not have the can or CD holder. PO must have lost them.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Tuffy but I will post the Max-built as an option:
http://www.maxbilt.com/cjc-1.html#
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Depending upon your imagination and fabbing skills, you might be happier making your own. I owned a Tuffy for years, got to like the stereo in the console, at your fingertips with an elbow on the pad. I didn't like that the YJ Tuffy was wider, rubbed the seats, so I made my own. I used 16 gauge steel like Tuffy, bought a lock from Tuffy ($15), made a removable stereo mounting section (red part) for bench install of the stereo, and made it the width I wanted. It locks with the stereo exposed or not. The slope part on the front unbolts from inside to allow adding switches, power, whatever. I do have a cup holder mounted to the back, but you shouldn't drink and drive. I also had some brown leather laying around.

I sold my well used Tuffy for $80 and bought all steel and parts for the new one for $60, including steel to fabricate my own sheet metal bender capable of doing 16 gauge steel.
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^wow awesome work

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

No Frosty beverage holder?
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Depending upon your imagination and fabbing skills, you might be happier making your own. I owned a Tuffy for years, got to like the stereo in the console, at your fingertips with an elbow on the pad. I didn't like that the YJ Tuffy was wider, rubbed the seats, so I made my own. I used 16 gauge steel like Tuffy, bought a lock from Tuffy ($15), made a removable stereo mounting section (red part) for bench install of the stereo, and made it the width I wanted. It locks with the stereo exposed or not. The slope part on the front unbolts from inside to allow adding switches, power, whatever. I do have a cup holder mounted to the back, but you shouldn't drink and drive. I also had some brown leather laying around.

I sold my well used Tuffy for $80 and bought all steel and parts for the new one for $60, including steel to fabricate my own sheet metal bender capable of doing 16 gauge steel.
Nice Build!!! Where'd you get those hinges Don? That thing is sexy as hell
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
Nice Build!!! Where'd you get those hinges Don? That thing is sexy as hell
I bought a 3' piano hinge at Home Depot (want some? 2' left). It's welded to the rear of the lid and to the stereo panel. On the stereo, I needed to have the lid slide for/back about 1/4" so the stereo lid could be forward to engage the box when it is closed, yet be able to slide back to tuck into the inside of the box when I want it open. I pulled the pin on the hinge and cut/ground off about 1/2 of each hinge loop, so when back together, the two hinge halves can slide 1/4". You can see the gaps in the hinge's pin row in the photos.
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is some nice work Don. After building my reverse light box, I have more courage to tackle something like this. After I get back stateside anyway.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Santa brought me a Tuffy console and I love it! It is the 6 1/2" version so there are no fitment issues. It's tall enough so that I am comfortable when I am rockin' my gangsta lean.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Santa brought me a Tuffy console and I love it! It is the 6 1/2" version so there are no fitment issues. It's tall enough so that I am comfortable when I am rockin' my gangsta lean.
Yo dats da won i gots to have!!

See you've rubbed off on me. Yo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.