what is wrong with my 1990 2.5??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what is wrong with my 1990 2.5???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
90YJBlack
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what is wrong with my 1990 2.5???

this is the first time I have ever posted on here so bear with me. I have a 1990 2.5 with no mods. it has 107,000 miles on it. a couple weeks ago it started being hard to start. I replace the starter, plugs, wires distributor cap and rotor. now it starts a little better but if I drive it 20 miles or so sometimes it wont start right back up unless it sets for an hour, it does have a lot of blow by in the valve cover. I can take my oil cap off and feel it pushing out air. it burns oil pretty bad and smokes when I change gears or get into real high rpms. sometime when i turn the key over it will start up with out touching the gas pedal ane sometimes it don't, however if I have some pull me and pop the clutch it starts every time. I do not have any idea what is wrong with it and was wondering what yall would suggest doing????? any help is much appreciated!!! THANKS

90YJBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
litone12

Check your air filter, blow by will destroy it and suffocate the engine.
litone12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean the throttle body and replace the fuel filter too as part of any tune up. If you are burning oil then the cat and O2 sensor are probably toasted. You need to do a wet/dry compression test and see what is going on. If the smoke is black i is running rich and not oil. You said you are burning oil and with miles that low chances are your rings are fine and there is an issue with the valves or lifters.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
90YJBlack
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I was thinkin it could have something to do with the valves or lifters. Sometimes it is white smoke but usually it is black and looks like my jeep has a cummins in it. Could I cut the cat out and just run a peice of pipe there or would that cause difficulties?
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
90YJBlack
1990 YJ Wrangler 

But what's up with the blow by in the valve cover? Could that be part of the valves being messed up also?
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Black is the fuel, do the O2 sensor. You are probably floding it on warm start. The blow by could be valves but you will always have pressure on the top of the engine. That is what the vent lines are for. If they arent maintained and plug up or are not venting the head gets gummed up. I would get a valve cover gasket an long with the O2 sensor and do a cursory check to see if it is sludged up and check the hoses on top of the valve cover on both sides and make sure they are drawing the air from the valve cover. O2 sensor is probably your start issue.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
90YJBlack
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks. I replace the valve cover and gasket Friday. I think it may be the rings on the blow by because there is alot of blow by. I did get in some deep water but my oil was never milky. Could it be my head gasket? Thanks in advance
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Head gasket would be white smoke.

If yours is smoking black its a fuel issue.
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, O2 sensor and check your exhaust manifold for any cracks especially around the collector tubes and the manifold bolts are tight and no leaks around the gasket.
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
90YJBlack
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks will do! It smokes black about 30% of the time and it smokes white with a little blue tint to it also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.