What would you do, if you were in my shoes... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What would you do, if you were in my shoes...

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What would you do, if you were in my shoes...

Ya'll.....

My I4 squirrel motor died today (141K, previous rebuilds unknown). It's had the ticking noise for a while and today it got worse to the point that the engine just shut down and couldn't be restarted. It's also been leaking oil, I believe from the rear main seal. Not a steady stream or anything like that but a fair drip. It wasn't out of oil when it died. I'm assuming the worst....that is, it needs a major repair and if it requires yanking the engine from the Jeep to fix, instead of doing a patch up job, make sure everything is covered.

If it were you, would you:

1) rebuild the engine
2) replace it with another 4cyl
3) replace it with a 6 cylinder

I'm completely depressed. I never even got to the point of getting my lifts on and heading out for a run through the woods.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
max3k
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yank that sick engine out and put in a LS6 V8 and scream down the road
Bushwacker cutout pocket flares
PORC Rock Sliders
Big Daddy Front and Rear Bumper/TC
JKS Quicker Discos
Tom Woods CV Driveshaft w SYE
Yukon HD 456 gears
XM Radio
Cobra 75 WX ST
48" Highlift

Lifted, Locked, and ready to Wheel!!

Hello,

My name is max3k and im a jeepaholic
max3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

Dearest Shinner,
My I6 runs strong even with that automatic tranny that you once bashed me on. I suggest you put in an I6...soon you'll realize what you've been missing. And cheer up pal-at least you still got a jeep!
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
KEVNISE

I agree get a 6 Mine has plenty of power

69 camaro
KEVNISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #5
skylinerider

Well, seeing as how you will have to replace the tranny if you go to a 6 why not a V8? It's about the same amount of work as the 6. I'd either go V8 or get a new 4 cyl.

SKYLINERIDER.NET

If you can't taste the sarcasm try licking the screen.
skylinerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
KEVNISE

Actually It's a lot of work for an 8 The axels really aren't strong enough the tranny will be more expensive too and the gas mileage sucks do fuel injection with a six plent of torque and decent gas mileage

69 camaro
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max3k
yank that sick engine out and put in a LS6 V8 and scream down the road
hehe...I didn't say I had a blank check

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysjeepn
My I6 runs strong even with that automatic tranny that you once bashed me on. I suggest you put in an I6...soon you'll realize what you've been missing. And cheer up pal-at least you still got a jeep!
C'mon now, I didn't bash ya for it, just said that some people (never said myself, included) would look down on those who preferred an auto.

My means, i.e. access to the right tools and brains required to swap in a 6 cyl are pretty limited. IIRC the motor mounts are different, I'd need a diff trans and also axles. Though I wouldn't mind a 6 at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinerider
Well, seeing as how you will have to replace the tranny if you go to a 6 why not a V8? It's about the same amount of work as the 6. I'd either go V8 or get a new 4 cyl.
Know any good sites that explain the 8 (or 6) cyl swap? I'd really have to look into it because it would require getting a good bit of help locally.

For the amount of money I'm gonna have to lay out, it does seem to make more sense to try and get more power.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
Fastbeeatch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you have a nice garage with all the tools and don't mind not driving your jeep for a while I would skip the engine upgrade. Why not just sell your jeep and reinvest the money in a different one? Or maybee you could find a jeep similar to yours that has a good four banger but a crappy body for cheap. I'm not saying upgarding to the 6 or 8 dosen't make sense. Just that if you don't have a garage and someone that has experience doing swaps it probably will be cheaper to buy something else. Good luck either way.
H1 Wheels 36" GoodYear OZ Tires
Fastbeeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
KEVNISE

you probably have 411 gears if you have a 4cyl on your d35 so you will be ok with a six I have a 4 11 with my 35 's on it from a 4 cyl so your ok with the axels http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/
This sight has some conversions 4.0 and v8 swaps

69 camaro
Unread 05-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #10
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbeeatch
Unless you have a nice garage with all the tools and don't mind not driving your jeep for a while I would skip the engine upgrade. Why not just sell your jeep and reinvest the money in a different one? Or maybee you could find a jeep similar to yours that has a good four banger but a crappy body for cheap.
No garage but could get away with not having the Jeep available to drive for a bit (I have a company vehicle I could use). Since good weather is sorta here, lack of garage just means less hours in the day to work I suppose.

I still have a loan out on this pig and it's not worth squat in the current state. I've got a couple grand of upgrade parts in my shed waiting to go on. Maybe the best move (at least cost-wise) is to either rebuild or replace the engine with another I4 and put the mods on. I could then sell it if I really wanted to get rid of it and maybe get some decent money. Realize that this is my first Jeep and I only bought it to use as a DD to get my sons to/from school and drive around town. This was well before I knew there was a "Jeep lifestyle" (or even what J.E.E.P. stood for )...but like everyone else, I quickly got hooked and the wheels in my head started turning on what I wanted to do with my new toy.

There's a pretty good Jeep junkyard in this part of PA so it's quite possible that I could find a relatively low mileage engine to put in, or even a I6 from engine to trans case (though I'd need to get a welder to relocate motor mounts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVNISE
you probably have 411 gears if you have a 4cyl on your d35 so you will be ok with a six I have a 4 11 with my 35 's on it from a 4 cyl so your ok with the axels http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/
I guess I have alot of work and decisions ahead of me...I think it will most likely be determined by cost (and yeah, I know that's the last thing that should matter all things considered).

- Dropping in a new/reconditioned/used I4 is probably the lowest cost option.
- Putting in a I6/AX15 (and either changing the spline on the NP231 or getting one used with the correct spline already in it) will give me the most benefit, but at a cost, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of yanking the current engine, it's gonna be the best cost/benefit option...I think.

But hey, on the bright side, this should make installing the motor mount lift a breeze!

Unread 05-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #11
Fastbeeatch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinner
No garage but could get away with not having the Jeep available to drive for a bit (I have a company vehicle I could use). Since good weather is sorta here, lack of garage just means less hours in the day to work I suppose.

I still have a loan out on this pig and it's not worth squat in the current state. I've got a couple grand of upgrade parts in my shed waiting to go on. Maybe the best move (at least cost-wise) is to either rebuild or replace the engine with another I4 and put the mods on. I could then sell it if I really wanted to get rid
What I meant was that if you buy an other jeep for cheap you can then swap away. Your litk kit, tires, and everything else you have in parts will easly swap between either a 6 or 4 cyl yj jeep. Try to find a rollover or rearended one that has a good motor, drivetrain and you'll be set with parts to spare.
H1 Wheels 36" GoodYear OZ Tires
Fastbeeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #12
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbeeatch
What I meant was that if you buy an other jeep for cheap you can then swap away. Your litk kit, tires, and everything else you have in parts will easly swap between either a 6 or 4 cyl yj jeep. Try to find a rollover or rearended one that has a good motor, drivetrain and you'll be set with parts to spare.
Yeah, I was thinking that...that's why I mentioned the Jeep junkyard in my area. Was over there once before and they had loads of parts.

Unread 05-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #13
surfsmeller

im very sorry shinner

shinner from one pa `er to another if i was a rich dude id buy ya a new motor but im not i also have a 4 banger so mine will most likely go around that same mileage.If i was you i depends on the money now but i would put a 6 in it also depends on the mechanic too un less if you have the time to do the install i know i wouldnitmatter of fact i would need it back asap!So it all depends on the mechanic i guess but always remember a new engine is cheaper than a new rig thats if you have the money for a new engine i think there about 1200 for a 4 and 1400 for a 6 thats just the block with the goods inside all the outside stuff will come off the old one and thats just the problem with converting to a 6 unless if you go to a bone yard?If you really want to know my thoughts and if you need your transportation back asap get the 4 banger on a credit card from www.acmejeepparts.com if you cant swing it go to the dealership and get a newie,a new jeep can be had alot easyer than a used one im thinkin of this delema myself.I just may go to the dealership and get a newie while im employed?good luck and tell us what you decide.
surfsmeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
93Sahara

1. where is this jeep junkyard in Pa??? I need some fourbanger axles from a 94 or 95 jeep so while your there could ya check for me?

2. Keep the 4 banger either find a lower milage engine that somebody else pulled for a swap. A guy in my club just sold one for 400 bucks with like 80k on it. Or else start tearing into what you have and rebuild it. Either way its a pain to do the I6 swap you might as well go v8 and then your talking more money....keep it simple and get it on the road.
04 Pontiac Vibe ---Hers
93Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 10:54 AM   #15
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsmeller
shinner from one pa `er to another if i was a rich dude id buy ya a new motor but im not i also have a 4 banger so mine will most likely go around that same mileage.If i was you i depends on the money now but i would put a 6 in it also depends on the mechanic too un less if you have the time to do the install i know i wouldnitmatter of fact i would need it back asap!So it all depends on the mechanic i guess but always remember a new engine is cheaper than a new rig thats if you have the money for a new engine i think there about 1200 for a 4 and 1400 for a 6 thats just the block with the goods inside all the outside stuff will come off the old one and thats just the problem with converting to a 6 unless if you go to a bone yard?If you really want to know my thoughts and if you need your transportation back asap get the 4 banger on a credit card
I'm sorta leaning towards just dropping another 4 cylinder in, mainly due to cost and simplicity of the change. I don't have access to a welder and don't really know another Jeeper in the area whose been through this and has experience in setting up the new motor mounts required for either the I6 or V8 swap.

I'd like to have this thing back on the road by the end of next month at the latest. An I4 swap I could probably handle myself, anything else and I'd be depending on someone else and thir availability.

Posted my plight on the website of the club I belong to but no one's really come forward and said they'd be happy to lend a hand (or even help for a price).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.