What would be the proper way to terminate a wire end? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What would be the proper way to terminate a wire end?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
kidddhawk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What would be the proper way to terminate a wire end?

I'm running a mc2100 and nuttered 258, and upon cleaning up some of the uneeded stuff in the engine, and getting rid of some other junk the PO had in there, I'm left with some wires in the wiring harness that come out of the loom above the valve cover area. Taking the loom and harness the whole way apart to take the wire out the whole way seems a bit much at this point, but I'd like to cap them off some reliable and safe way that isn't going to start a fire down the road. Should I solder some caps on there and do some heat shrink around them or something like that? Wiring is not really my strong suit so any advice is appreciated...

kidddhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can be done several ways. easiest is to use heat shrink and pinch the end with your fingers. only burns for a second! lol Other way is to get some of the terminals the phone company uses with the grease in them.
Dont use elect tape it traps water and do cover the end. if the wire starts to corrode it will spread to other wires. Seen that on salt water boats. eeeewww!
raynmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

heat shrink over the ends then wrap some tape around the whole thing.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Or...a crimp style terminator.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Put some heat shrink on the end with some hanging off. Heat it, bend it off and put another peice of heat shrink over it and heat it again.
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought and I am not sure if you can find it anymore but, what if you used some Plasti Dip and just dipped the end of the wire in the Plasti Dip.
I guess it is still around. Not sure if you can find it locally.
Performix / Plasti Dip from ToolSavings, LLC
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I took a small piece of electrical tape put it over the top of the wire and wrapped it around the top, then heat shrink it, then repeated if it was a + wire. That process has always worked for me

"Never trade the thrills of living, for the security of existence" Live and love as if its your last day!!

Life is no fun unless, you take the path with the most resistance. -ME-
H_Swank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.