what will repair a plastic fuel tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what will repair a plastic fuel tank

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
payprviews
1992 YJ Wrangler 

what will repair a plastic fuel tank

I have a small hairline crack on my plastic gas tank. It is about an inch long. Very thin I can't even see it unless it's leaking. I wipe it clean and I can see it is very thin hairline crack.

What can repair this. I tried the Autozone stuff. Expoxy stick for plastic tanks and that stuff is just to weak even when dry you can just peel it off.

Will mighty putty work. I know I need to really get a new tank but that is not possible today anyway
Or will the plastic welder work better? I have read some here but what works best? Other than a new tank.

payprviews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used JB Weld. It's held up for the last 4 months no problem. I went overboard with it though - covered about 4 inches more than I should have around the leak.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
lwszabo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is it a stock tank? I have a 95 and thought mine was metal.
lwszabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
payprviews
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I used JB Weld. It's held up for the last 4 months no problem. I went overboard with it though - covered about 4 inches more than I should have around the leak.
Jb weld, i thought of that. Is yours a plastic tank? what did you clean the outside of your tank with? I think part of the reason my patch did not hold was cause it was satuated with gas for some time. I pumped out as much fuel as would come out without removing the tank already. what should i clean the area that leaks with?
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
payprviews
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwszabo View Post
is it a stock tank? I have a 95 and thought mine was metal.
I dunno if it's stock. but it's heavy black plastic. I took off the skid plate and am ready to work on it again. the original patch did not hold yesterday. i used the plastic tank repair kit from autozone. the expoxy was kinda dry and brittle. it didn't mix well there was lots of small hard pieces in it. starting to wonder if it has a shelf life that was expired. what a waste of 12 bucks.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by payprviews View Post
Jb weld, i thought of that. Is yours a plastic tank? what did you clean the outside of your tank with? I think part of the reason my patch did not hold was cause it was satuated with gas for some time. I pumped out as much fuel as would come out without removing the tank already. what should i clean the area that leaks with?
Yeah its a plastic tank. Mine was almost empty when I patched it. I cleaned the area with carb cleaner I think, just make sure all the gas has evaporated. Its much easier to do if you drop the tank - you can position the crack so nothing leaks from it. A new tank wasn't an option at the time because they are about $400.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is no adhesive for the polyethethylene plastic tank. Basically no adheseive really works because it will not chemcially bond. You will note that adhesivse are not used in the factory on PE parts for that reason.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
There is no adhesive for the polyethethylene plastic tank. Basically no adheseive really works because it will not chemcially bond. You will note that adhesivse are not used in the factory on PE parts for that reason.
Dead on.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For a temporary repair try Empty tank so crack is not leaking, cleaning the area very good with carb or brake cleaner. scratch a v groove on the crack, take some sand paper to the area. then try JB stick weld for plastic. If that does not do the job, nothing can.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
payprviews
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Dead on.

Max
Ok, thanks..what about the plastic welder idea?
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by payprviews View Post
Ok, thanks..what about the plastic welder idea?
Plastic welding in the factory is done electronically essentially focused microwaves are channeled through the tooling. It is very hard to weld that stuff with hot tools because it conducts heat so poorly that the surfac melts wthout thoroughly heating the material.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Mud-n-Beer
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not too sure if this would work on plastic, but I'm pretty darn sure it would. I have sealed a very badly rusted metal gas tank with a product called Seal-All. This stuff is made for gas & oil leaks. I used it for a badly rusted fuel tank in a long gone 84' S-10 pickup. The tank was so bad, I could put my fingers through it. I was just going to put it on, till I could get another tank, but this stuff worked so great, and I never had to buy the tank.

I first drained the gas tank, then I drove it up on car ramps. Had to wait a little bit for the last bit of gas to drain out. Let it sit overnite to make sure the tank was dry. Put on a good bit of the Seal -All, and covered the Seal- All with some thin rubber. I held it up in place with some pressure, since my leak was on the bottom. Drove it for many, many years, and it never leaked.

I always make sure I have a tube on hand, just in case I need it. Its also great for many other kinds of leaks. It comes in a yellow & red tube, 2fl.oz. Wal-mart sells it, among other places. This stuff works great, just prep the surface as best as you can.
Mud-n-Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a supplier for new 20 gallon tanks for $285 - free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...Q5fAccessories
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-n-Beer View Post
I'm not too sure if this would work on plastic, but I'm pretty darn sure it would. I have sealed a very badly rusted metal gas tank with a product called Seal-All. This stuff is made for gas & oil leaks. I used it for a badly rusted fuel tank in a long gone 84' S-10 pickup. The tank was so bad, I could put my fingers through it. I was just going to put it on, till I could get another tank, but this stuff worked so great, and I never had to buy the tank.

I first drained the gas tank, then I drove it up on car ramps. Had to wait a little bit for the last bit of gas to drain out. Let it sit overnite to make sure the tank was dry. Put on a good bit of the Seal -All, and covered the Seal- All with some thin rubber. I held it up in place with some pressure, since my leak was on the bottom. Drove it for many, many years, and it never leaked.

I always make sure I have a tube on hand, just in case I need it. Its also great for many other kinds of leaks. It comes in a yellow & red tube, 2fl.oz. Wal-mart sells it, among other places. This stuff works great, just prep the surface as best as you can.

Good to know, but he has aplastic tank.

I still say try the JB plastic weld. What do you have to loose. If it doesn't work then go buy a new tank.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
payprviews
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok i am gonna try something. even it its one thing after the other. i'll let you know if anything works. thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.